Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 f-350 early build 6.0 that is hard to start when cold. after setting over night, when you go to crank it, it fires then dies immediately. Turn the key to off then back on, wait for the plugs, and it does the same thing again. It does this 3 or 4 times before it finally fires and stays running. But it runs like a top after it fires and then starts fine the rest of the day unless it sits for more then an hour or so, then it has a bad stumble before it fires. I have done a lot of research on these forums and talked to some diesel techs and from what i have gathered it is probably a problem with the high pressure oil system. I know that the high pressure oil pump is supplied by a reservoir that i believe is located under the oil cooler that is supplied by the low pressure oil pump. Is it possible that somewhere between the low pressure pump and reservoir that there is a small leak allowing the reservoir to leak down as the truck sits idle causing the truck not to start until the reservoir is refilled by turning over the motor? has anyone ever heard of this? does this even make sense? is there anyway to tell if the revervoir is empty before i start it? Thanks for any help :dunno:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Generally when there is a problem with the HPOP it won't start when hot. Can you get the truck scanned for any codes? Without a scan could be lots of guessing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had a scan done on it and they said it didnt throw any codes. also i dont believe that the oil filter housing is holding oil, should it be? i thought they were suppose to until you take the cap off and then they drain. thanks for the help

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can you find out what the High Pressure is while cranking? Alot of what ifs and maybes. Does it turn over easily? Do you have enough fuel pressure? When was oil last changed? Sometimes the cheaper oil filters don't sit on the housing right... I have heard of the Low Pressure Oil Pump gears stripping and not providing enough pressure. There is also a regulator plunger/spring in the LPOP. Is the ICP sensor under the turbo or in the valve cover? Sometimes they fail and let oil through and into the wiring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the icp sensor was just replaced and it is under the turbo, i use a motorcraft oil filter and motorcraft oil and it was changed less than 500 miles ago. I know the hpop has to pump about 500 to fire the injectors. when i took it in to have the icp sensor replaced it wasnt starting at all and they said it was only showing the high pressure as 225, so they replaced the icp and it runs fine, but still just hard to start after it has been sitting. it turns over fine but it does seem like it takes the oil pressure guage a while to come up.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
does it idle roughly when it finally does get running?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have almost the exact same situation but mine can sit for about 5 to 6 hours before it won’t want to start. Does yours smoke black when it’s trying to fire? Friend of a friend thinks it’s the FICM but I am not sure.

Get you a bump to the top :bump:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
once it fires and stays running, it runs smooth, no rough idle at all. It has never blown black smoke. I have had people say that it might be the FICM but the diesel shop i took it to didnt say anything about it when they scanned it.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I have the same problem, starts then immediately dies about 3-4 times when cold and after sitting for 2-3 days. Once started, no problem. If I drive it every day then there is no problem and it always runs great and strong with no smoke after starting. Will fire right away once warm. If I were to guess I would say fuel is leaking back down the system slowly while sitting but that is just a guess and why would it fire and then die each time. My 2nd guess would be that the IPR under the turbo has a clogged screen since I just did a head job and studs, rebuilt turbo, EGR cooler, Oil Cooler, and many updates. Didn't do this for 4-6 weeks after I did all the above stuff just started slowly. Assuming maybe the screen is clogged with red rag fibers, again, just a guess. Any ideas on what I might check first?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts