Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 04' 6.0L with around 100k on it. Have the AFE stage 2 intake and 4" MBRP with muffler, no cat. Boost gauge and EGT gauge by autometer. I drive a lot of long distances with this truck on the weekends and usually with a sled deck in the back with two sleds on top. Looking to get some more mileage and power with truck.

I bought intake and exhaust from elite diesel and gave them a call. They recommended to remove my EGR junk completely, which I will do soon. Then they recommended I just get the X3 tuner with three files loaded. I want to chip it but don't want to lose the reliability of my truck seeing how I ask so much from it. For the most part I will keep it in economy but on weekends load up the tow tune.

Questions:
1) Is the EGR delete kit thru elite diesel a nice kit or should I look elsewhere?
2) Is the X3 tuner solid and reliable?
3) Should I be doing anything else when adding this tuner(tranny etc)?
4) Should I be adding a third gauge (tranny temp)?
thanks

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
1) Yes. I do not personally have one but have heard good things. First Coast Diesel Performance has, what I hear, is commonly referred to as the best

2) Yes! very reliable. And you can scan trouble codes if you get an engine light

3) Not Really. That's the beauty of custom tuning with the X3, the Trans controller is tuned to handle the increased engine output.

4) does the 04 gauge cluster have the factory trans temp gauge? Even so, if you have the $$ it's cheap insurance so It definitely won't hurt

More people will chime in soon!

·
Bring On The Snow
1,650 Posts
YES you need a tranny gauge. The stock one if you have it is not good at all. It should not even be there. My stock one says the tranny is warm after idling for five minutes. Then when I drive and my aftermarket starts to show it heating up the stock one never moves. I cant urge you enought to get one.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I am wanting to hear, reliable and the best.

I will put the tranny temp gauge on the list. Where does that sensor plug in? Anyone need a grey 2 gauge piller for cheap?

·
Registered
204 Posts
how cheap?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
1)FCDP makes a good EGR delete kit LOL (tooting my own horn) LOL

2) The SCT is great and doesn't need anything else added to it, just make sure you get custom tunes.

3)not really.

4) a fuel pressure gauge would be a better investment.

IF you want some prices feel free to PM me and we can work out a package deal on our Full Delete kit, custom SCT and gauge.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
25 bucks and you pay shipping cheap

·
Registered
204 Posts
let me see what i can do that is a good price. i could use a fuel and tranny temp gauge

·
Premium Member
13,264 Posts
Questions:
1) Is the EGR delete kit thru elite diesel a nice kit or should I look elsewhere?
2) Is the X3 tuner solid and reliable?
3) Should I be doing anything else when adding this tuner(tranny etc)?
4) Should I be adding a third gauge (tranny temp)?
thanks
1) I dont know
2) absolutely the best for a 6.0. Hands down
3&4) Gauges since you already an exhaust. Def. need a transmission temp gauge and other gauges would not hurt. (water temp, oil temp, fuel pres. etc.)

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cowboy250, I would have to order the tranny temp gauge first and then pull out the old one.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone heard of the flex section in the up pipe cracking after the EGR system is removed?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The flex pipe cracking is actually TOO common and happens with or without the EGR removed. FCDP has a VERY nice up pipe replacement.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you look there is another flex section just before the turbo and a thrid flex section on the driver side manifold. So why does the passenger side(lowest) one crack? Is the exhaust hotter over there?

Should you want the flex in there anywas? I'm thinking it was put there for a reason to absorb some kind of vibration or flexing of the motor.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
you cant remove all of the flex sections, it will cause problems as soon as a heat cycle is done, it distorts the configuration and once you get them on its fine, but if you ever have to take them off, it wont ever go back on, this also puts alot of stress on the turbo and manifolds, once the metal tweaks.

The orginal desgin had the flex in there for install purposes and the pipes need to flex, but they also designed it to be used with the EGR cooler there as a "support" once the EGR cooler is gone, so is your support, this is why we do the solid up pipe, just to give you a bit of rigidity.

Can the other flex sections crack, yes. But they are not as likely to crack as the EGR up pipe section.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone else wanna chime in, no offense abrannan just want some differing opinions.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ordered a new quad pillar with trans and voltmeter gauge, next step is the EGR delete and chip

·
Registered
200 Posts
Has anyone heard of the flex section in the up pipe cracking after the EGR system is removed?
Yes, it just happened to me and I contacted Elite to let them know, they actually told me that they have only heard of this happening once before and it must be installation error. I asked them what I should do and they informed me that unless they installed it, they would not cover it. I told them that it would be kind of hard for them to install it seeing as I was from Canada....in the end, they weren't willing to do ANYTHING for me. I DO NOT RECOMMEND AN ELITE EGR DELETE FOR THIS REASON.

I then contacted a place in Edmonton called NADP(NORTH AMERICAN DIESEL PERFORMANCE) and they were more than helpful. They talked to a rep from Liberator who sells these egr deletes and they were willing to rob an up pipe from one of their kits and Liberator will replace it for them. The cost was very reasonable for the uppipe and it has no flex section so there is no worry of it cracking. Yes to egr delete(I love it) No to Elite.

Check this out:
NADP Products Available

I am in no way connected to NADP or Liberator, but they were both extremely helpful accommodating and professional.

Edit: After checking out Abrannan post, his kit has the same idea, so I would say it would be a safe bet.
Do not do the Elite, very dissatisfied with their product and service. Hell, they wouldn't even return my call until I called multiple times. Grrrr

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm liking the Liberator kit and the price. So what do you do with the EGR valve (solenoid in intake manifold) does it just stay in there? I might have to give these guys a call tomorrow.

How did you know the up-pipe was cracked? Did you have any problems lining things up with the solid up-pipe? I talked to Elite and asked them why they didn't offer a solid up-pipe and they stated it was vitually impossible to make one single solid up-pipe that would fit all 6.0L motors, every motor is different in shape.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm liking the Liberator kit and the price. So what do you do with the EGR valve (solenoid in intake manifold) does it just stay in there? I might have to give these guys a call tomorrow.

How did you know the up-pipe was cracked? Did you have any problems lining things up with the solid up-pipe? I talked to Elite and asked them why they didn't offer a solid up-pipe and they stated it was vitually impossible to make one single solid up-pipe that would fit all 6.0L motors, every motor is different in shape.

Thanks for the reply
The valve itself gets taken out and you block off the hole where it was with a plate. The plug in just lays there, but I just taped it off to the side. I was also prepared to buy a tuner because sometimes this will throw a cel, but I was lucky and no code.

I knew that it was the up pipe because I reached my hand around the down pipe when I started the truck COLD I could feel air coming out of the flex area. Dont try it when the engine is hot....it hurts! :doh:

I had absolutely no problem lining up the up pipe actually. There is still a flex section on the pipe that the up pipe bolts on to(I don't know if that helps or not). Whatever you do, don't try to flex it too much or you will have another leak to fix.

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts