Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Like the title states, I have performance upgrade questions. I currently have a, more or less, stock 6.0. I say "more or less" because externally I have a Sinister Cold Air Intake, Sinister 58v FICM(still set at 48.5v), Sinister Intake Elbow, Sinister Hot & Cold Side Charge Air Pipes, 4" turbo-back to 5" dual stacks exhaust and EGR delete. I'm also using a Bully Dog PowerPup tuner with the performance tune currently in my truck. However, internally I have done nothing other than replace my injectors and glow plugs with stock parts. Now don't get me wrong, the truck runs pretty damn good, but what I would like is to be able to roll coal when mashin the throttle! Seeing what I have listed currently, what suggestions can any of you offer in order for me to be able to do that while keeping and/or improving the performance that I have? I'm open to do whatever!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
You could add meth. Not methanol. Actual meth. That way the truck gets seized by the DEA before the EPA decides to write more laws that further restrict diesel emissions.

Your performance question is interesting in that it follows the rolling coal hopes and dreams. Rolling coal is expelling unburnt fuel, so it's about as anti-performance as you can get. Plus, I don't really see much on your list already that I'd call "performance" parts other than the 50hp boost that the Sinister intake elbow is giving you...

My recommendations:
1) Pull that CAI off and put a No Limit on there
2) Ported Intake
3) Upgraded injectors
4) Stage 2 KC Turbo
5) ARP head studs
6) O-ringed heads
7) upgraded HPOP
8) New lift pump and sump
9) Regulated return
10) Custom tune

That's enough to get you started. It should be downright "peppy" after that.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You could add meth. Not methanol. Actual meth. That way the truck gets seized by the DEA before the EPA decides to write more laws that further restrict diesel emissions.

Your performance question is interesting in that it follows the rolling coal hopes and dreams. Rolling coal is expelling unburnt fuel, so it's about as anti-performance as you can get. Plus, I don't really see much on your list already that I'd call "performance" parts other than the 50hp boost that the Sinister intake elbow is giving you...

My recommendations:
1) Pull that CAI off and put a No Limit on there
2) Ported Intake
3) Upgraded injectors
4) Stage 2 KC Turbo
5) ARP head studs
6) O-ringed heads
7) upgraded HPOP
8) New lift pump and sump
9) Regulated return
10) Custom tune

That's enough to get you started. It should be downright "peppy" after that.
That list of parts is going to make that truck run way to clean

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
That list of parts is going to make that truck run way to clean
Ya can't have it both ways. A person's either gotta wipe or they don't.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Plus, I don't really see much on your list already that I'd call "performance" parts other than the 50hp boost that the Sinister intake elbow is giving you...
Awesome, and at only $189.00 that's only $3.78 per hp. That's a nice deal. If I install two in series would that net me 100 hp? If I install two in parallel would that net me 25 hp? :nerd:

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Well if you keep going down the route you have by replacing good parts with sinister junk and a not so good tuner eventually the truck will probably start smoking on its own.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Awesome, and at only $189.00 that's only $3.78 per hp. That's a nice deal. If I install two in series would that net me 100 hp? If I install two in parallel would that net me 25 hp? :nerd:
You want them in parallel for the added air flow. In pairs, they are sometimes referred to by the pros as "intake stacks..."

But I digress...

I do want to take the OPs performance question seriously. It seems like he's got some cash to throw at the truck. If he sets aside the rolling coal nonsense and cures himself of blue flu, he could have a truck that is a force to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I do like the blue! All joking aside, I've been under the impression that Sinister part's were decent. Instill pretty new to pickup truck diesels and am basically learning as I go. I'll also admit that I do like seeing smoke rollin, but I'll certainly take performance over smoke any day when it comes right down to it. I just thought I could get both!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes, I do like the blue! All joking aside, I've been under the impression that Sinister part's were decent. Instill pretty new to pickup truck diesels and am basically learning as I go. I'll also admit that I do like seeing smoke rollin, but I'll certainly take performance over smoke any day when it comes right down to it. I just thought I could get both!
Wanna roll coal? cover your air filter with a walmart bag. That one's free. Make sure you get some affliction t-shirts, white Oakley's and a Foxx hat too!
Coking up your motor with soot isn't gonna be cheap bruh!

When dummies run around town rolling coal, it makes us all targets for more government intrusion and regulation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
^^^^^ LOL affliction t's, fox hats, and white oakleys! The epitome of uber douchiness. Cant forget the blue jeans with the bedazzled pockets and perma creases behind the knees! haha

·
california deplorable
10,238 Posts
ok in all seriousness dj hit the mark for performance

and the epa even getting involved in diesels not to mention the dpf stupidity etc ...

you can thank the guys who roll coal for all that :doh:

think of black smoke as what it is unburned fuel and wasted hp, fuel, and money all congealed into a perfect target for some pius driving libtard political activist whiner to cry for more epa bans on ...everything. :look:

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts
Do your research, and I mean true research not just what you see people talk about on Facebook or whatever, buy quality parts, monitor your parameters and give that info to a quality tune writer and you will be on the right path.

Don't strive to be a coal rolling dbag.

·
california deplorable
10,238 Posts
also you will want to know if your truck is an early or late 04
I forget the cut off i think it was sep 03 for a build date but :dunno:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I forget the cut off i think it was sep 03 for a build date but :dunno:
Prior to 9-22 is an 03 from a design perspective even if it was sold as an 04. Those will have the smaller 90mm waterpump, bus bars instead of wiring harness on the glowplugs that are also longer, the FICM mounted lower on the VC, metal CAI on the cold side of the intercooler and 10 blade turbo. Along with other stuff you do and don't want.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forget the cut off i think it was sep 03 for a build date but
Cutoff was August 03 on the build date. Found that one out when I had an injector go out on me last summer! And to everyone else who's responded and commented....received, noted and appreciated. Even the smart-***, sarcastic ones...I do have a good sense of humor!!! Consider my mind and view changed.

·
california deplorable
10,238 Posts
treated right these trucks are freakin amazing
i bogle that i have a truck that weighs in at 9,000# and feels light on its feet at the same time :thumb:

·
Registered
135 Posts
treated right these trucks are freakin amazing
i bogle that i have a truck that weighs in at 9,000# and feels light on its feet at the same time :thumb:
I agree. I just spent yesterday digging into my water separator and fuel filter. It had a new NAPA filter in it but the amount of sludge I cleaned out of the drain plug area was amazing. I find it hard to believe this truck has lived as long as it has based on the signs of mistreatment I constantly find.

I will say that Fords placement of the water separator and primary filter was a fail. What a messy PITA to work on and actually keep clean.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts