Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys is there anything to worry about when getting a 04? That was only the second year for the motor and was wondering if there were any specific problems with them. This truck only has 51k miles so not worried about it there. I would be bullet proofing it once and if I got it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I made it a point not to buy a 03-05. But that's because I did not plan on bullet proofing it. But since you are, I don't think it would matter what year it was. BTW - That's nice low mileage for a '04. Best of luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Take it to a garage and let them check the EOT and ECT to see if the coolers are ok. Have them check out the FICM voltage and see if there are any codes. Have them look under the truck for leaks and ask the owner for all maintenance records to see what has been done. Then if you buy it, delete the EGR, drain the coolant and replace with Cat -El, and put in a coolant filter... and buy ScanGauge II so you can keep an eye on things.... Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
all 04s are not created equal. I'd be looking at the door sticker or engine year on the right valvecover to find out if you're getting a early or late

·
Registered
570 Posts
The later the build date, the better the truck, however, If the truck is clean and what you want that is more important. Iam on my second 04 6.0, I like the old school leaf spring truck. Early 04s had 03 motors (look at the valve cover) run an Oasis to determine warranty work. If it has had an EGR, oil cooler, and head gasket job, I would simply plug or delete the EGR cooler and change out the coolant, and ad a coolant filter. 6.0s love clean filters and fluids, so change them all including both trans filters.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My '04 has been a VERY good truck. I have about 54k miles on her...but pretty much all hard miles of pulling heavy 5er. Had some issues with an oil leak that took time to get fixed but I believe that was because the Ford tech was in a rush and didn't look for root cause. I had my coolers replaced as I was seeing about 15* deltas. Other than that, coolant filters, ELC, synthetic oil and other items to make for good maintenance habits has helped this rig to be VERY reliable for me.

Trip as of recent shows, via the CTS, that all of my numbers look awesome (e.g. FICM voltage, deltas, trans temps, etc).

·
Registered
786 Posts
My 2004 PSD has been more reliable than the 2006 that I had previously. Keep in mind that my 04 is a late build date (November)

I run my truck hard and the ONLY issue I have ever had was injector stiction which REV X cured in short order.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I just turned 100k miles on my 04, the only 6.0 trouble that I have had was the ficm, I resoldered it at home for no cost, the truck did have an EGR cooler oil cooler and head gasket job by Ford under warranty. Ibought the truck with 43k miles. I bought my first 6.0 new in 04, and sold it @68k miles, back then the 6.0 fixes were not available. These trucks are well built and reliable, with the 6.0 fixes avaiable they are the best value in used diesel pickups. Like any used vehicle DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you buy, use the 6.0's reputation to negociate a better deal.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just turned 100k miles on my 04, the only 6.0 trouble that I have had was the ficm, I resoldered it at home for no cost, the truck did have an EGR cooler oil cooler and head gasket job by Ford under warranty. Ibought the truck with 43k miles. I bought my first 6.0 new in 04, and sold it @68k miles, back then the 6.0 fixes were not available. These trucks are well built and reliable, with the 6.0 fixes avaiable they are the best value in used diesel pickups. Like any used vehicle DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you buy, use the 6.0's reputation to negociate a better deal.
Thats what I did they wanted 19500 for the 04 I bought and I got them down to 14000, It was a good truck up till now I'm hitting 170,000 miles and now I'm getting all the problems. To bad they are all comming at once. :hehe:

·
Registered
933 Posts
04, f350, did the oil cooler/egr delete elc etc, that was plugged but the egr wasnt ruptured and it wasnt puking, other then that, truck was tunned at 45k and im at 90 nowl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts