Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 6.0L that I am having a couple issues with. October two years ago I went through and done a bunch of work to the engine. Head gaskets, studs, egr delete, oil cooler, injectors, coolant flush. This was around 190k. The truck now has 240k on it and I'm getting a big fuctuation in coolant temp and oil temp, up to 30+ degrees at times. I'm seeing a little water around the coolant cap, but not loosing much water if any. I'm also getting a little fuel in the oil somehow. I'm noticing that I'm gaining about a quart over 5k oil change. What are some issues that could be causing this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
For the coolant around the coolant cap the easy thing to try is a new cap. They are known to fail and cheap. The 30* deltas are a sign that the oil cooler is on its way out. I know what you are saying to yourself right now,"the cooler is only 2 years old". Well you've ran 50,000 miles on that truck. IMO Id say take a look at the Bullet Proof diesel set up if your planning on keeping the truck for any time at all.
And the fuel in the oil is a injector issue I believe.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Another thought , did you run a coolant filter?

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I was amazed/sadden/shocked at the trash my coolant filter caught after my coolant flush.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
A few tests to run without tearing into anything

First is a cold soak test verifies that sensors aren't biased [out of range]
Assumeing you are useing a scan tool or other monitor first thing in the morning turn on the key but do not try to start. Observe the temp readings, both should be a few degrees of ambient air temp and each other any higher and one or both sensors is biased.

Crank the truck and let it reach operateing temps. With a digital thermometer gun shoot the pan and the radiator inlet and observe if they are near what the sensors are showing. Works best if thermostat has cycled a few times. This can also be observed by watching the inlet temps at around 195 the temps should increase and then decrease as the thermostat opens and closes. [2 tests for the price of 1]

Visually check for airflow restriction thru radiator [trash; collapsed fins; etc]
Is the clutchfan working properly? Increse engine speed until 215 degrees Fan should be in full lock-up and sound like a jet takeing off.

These are just some of the quick cheap tests that can be run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I'm getting ready to start back into mine. I will keep the coolant filter in mind. I was hoping I didn't need head gaskets again. Would you recommend just doing the oil cooler again, and replacing the orings on all the injectors and see where that gets me?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I will try the test and see what I can come up with. I have been plugging the truck up since it has gotten cold to decrease warmup time. I have noticed, without plugging it up when temps fall below 30 outside, that it's a little difficult to start the first time of the morning, then its fine the rest of the day.
I'm running the scan gauge II, this is where I'm getting my readings from. The water temp. hardly ever gets over 185, but my oil temp gets up around 230 some times and this is just driving it around town / interstate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts