Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased a 2004 6.0, I test drove it for about 20 minutes after 10 min idling and never went higher than 60 mph, as soon as I get on the highway to head home, about 15 min into it my oil temp gauge on the dash spikes, I hook a friend of mines monitor up to it the rest of the ride home, I hit 238 at one point and pulled over, EOT on the dash & the monitor both went up, I noticed my degree split between EOT/ECT was at max 10° I believe, 238/228+/- at max and followed thru when I slowed down and cruised home at 50mph, I guess I’m just trying to figure out if it’s forsure an oil cooler failure or maybe a water pump? I know Ford calls foul @ 20° split? Or 25° I can’t remember.
To note also, it does have ARP head studs, oem gasket done which I got paper work on from the guy that sold it to me, & I visually saw the head studs, new hpop, & icp sensor, also he says it’s never had a tuner on it.

edit* I should also note truck is throwing no codes at all

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,774 Posts
Where is your ICP sensor located?

The temperature differential spec is 15 degrees.

Maybe you have a thermostat issue?

Are your radiator fins clear?
Fan working ok?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is your ICP sensor located?

The temperature differential spec is 15 degrees.

Maybe you have a thermostat issue?

Are your radiator fins clear?
Fan working ok?
not sure where it’s located, I’d have to check, I was thinking maybe thermostat issue but I didn’t think so when temps would spike @ higher mph/rpm & lower/stay the same at lower mph/rpm

fan seems to work fine & radiator fins “look” ok

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm guessing thermostat or fan. Hows the coolant level?
coolant looks great, the guy I bought it from says he just dropped the cab on it a few weeks ago after doing the hpop & a few other things, coolant level & color looks good, I pulled the dipstick after about 20 min of driving also and the oil looks good also, not milky at all.

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
282 Posts
I’m aware, but I figured with a bad oil cooler only my oil temps would go up but I’m having oil & coolant temps go up with a 5-7° split
Your oil cooler may be fine. It's within the 15* difference. The coolant temp should be your concern if it's accurate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your oil cooler may be fine. It's within the 15* difference. The coolant temp should be your concern if it's accurate.
I was hoping for this because it points to a failed water pump more than Likely right? That would also cause my oil temps to rise correct? I should note the guy I bought it from said he replaced the water pump with an oem 04 water pump in 2018 so I’m assuming the impeller failed since it’s plastic

·
8,774 Posts
If your water pump isn't pumping, your oil temp would be quite a bit higher IMO. I still suspect the thermostat as the most likely issue.

You need to answer the question on the ICP sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your water pump isn't pumping, your oil temp would be quite a bit higher IMO. I still suspect the thermostat as the most likely issue.

You need to answer the question on the ICP sensor.
so I believe my icp Is under the turbo, it’s an early 04 model

·
8,774 Posts
The reason I asked is that the 04 model year is an interesting year for sourcing parts.

The early 04, from June-ish 03 to 9/29/03, uses the 03 engine. Then on 9/29/03 some big engine changes were introduced. There was another (smaller) set of changes made around January of 04 also.

The 03 engine is characterized by the location of the ICP sensor (behind the turbo). These 03 engines also had a smaller water pump and the impellor was prone to coming off on them. On 9/29/03, a new front cover was installed and a larger water pump was installed. If people replaced the mid and late 04 water pumps with the early water pump, they would get inadequate cooling due to the mis-matched (larger) front cover. Since the bolt patterns were the same, both water pumps would fit.

It appears you have the 03 engine. Do you know if your front cover was ever changed out? Some people wanted the better cooling from the mid and late 04's in their early 04, so they installed an updated front cover and the updated water pump - just as an upgrade. If yours was ever changed out to the updated front cover, you would have to install the larger water pump from that point on, or you would get inadequate cooling.

It can get complicated in 04. Doesn't really sound like that is your issue, but I might change my mind if you knew of a front cover change being done on it.

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Your cooling system is not working correctly. Since it just had a rebuild, something was not done right, maybe the wrong parts were installed. People are telling you the two best places to start looking. A thermostat that is not opening. There have been instances of aftermarket thermostats doing that when people try to make these "more better," or as Mark noted, the smaller water pump was installed. I'd go for the thermostat first.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just purchased a 2004 6.0, I test drove it for about 20 minutes after 10 min idling and never went higher than 60 mph, as soon as I get on the highway to head home, about 15 min into it my oil temp gauge on the dash spikes, I hook a friend of mines monitor up to it the rest of the ride home, I hit 238 at one point and pulled over, EOT on the dash & the monitor both went up, I noticed my degree split between EOT/ECT was at max 10° I believe, 238/228+/- at max and followed thru when I slowed down and cruised home at 50mph, I guess I’m just trying to figure out if it’s forsure an oil cooler failure or maybe a water pump? I know Ford calls foul @ 20° split? Or 25° I can’t remember.
To note also, it does have ARP head studs, oem gasket done which I got paper work on from the guy that sold it to me, & I visually saw the head studs, new hpop, & icp sensor, also he says it’s never had a tuner on it.

edit* I should also note truck is throwing no codes at all
Water pump or stuck close thermostat. And as far as I know, there isn't an oil temp gauge. That's a coolant temp gauge. Your delta is fine. I see mine get to 9 when it's really cold out and later in the day, it's within 3 or 4 of each other.

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
There is an oil temperature sensor. It's kind of how we get coolant to oil temperature differentials.

Reactions: Spirit

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Sorry, I didn't go back to read earlier posts, by bad. Rough night; I'm striking out on several forums this morning.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts