Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard some newer 6.0's running recently, as in 04's 05's 06's and man those engines once warmed seem quieter than my 03. Why is this? Were the first models extra loud or something? My engine just sounds like it rattles around more. my 03 has 56k on it.

Oh, and during my last oil change, i decided to inspect the oil filter, i found that there were some very small metal shavings here and there, is this normal? There were only a few, but metal none the less.

The reason i ask this, is because recently i had some injectors replaced at my ford dealer, and i am nervous that they might have screwed something up, like maybe dropped a bolt or something into the engine. they had both valve covers off. How hard is it to mess up an injector swap on a 6.0, should i even be worried? :(

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know? Any fellow 03 owners out there?

·
Registered
492 Posts
don't know what your asking but the newer motors are just quieter all around. they do seem to loosen up as time goes on and get louder but they also seem to run better. i think if they dropped a foregin object in there you would have found out by now. not sure how normal it is though to have shavings in the filter.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
I know alot of guys switch the 03 turbos on their truck cause its louder. PM DKR and ask him. He swapped his out. He can tell you all the reasons he did it.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
get an oil sample and send it to blackstone labs...google it and find there wedsite and request a free test kit. They will tell you if you have something abnormal in your oil.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Iv noticed that too. My 03 6.0 is loud comparied to an 05. I just figured they changed something that made them quieter.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
i dont know my 03 doesnt seem any louder than any other year not that ive notice

·
Registered
100 Posts
I always thought are 03 was quieter then the 05 and 07. The 03 has a bunch of hood insulation and the others dont. So I guess thats why its quieter :dunno:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good, glad it doesn't seem like a problematic report. i was just testing for peace of mind, and didn't like the higher than average metal content, but i did start it cold every day in a very brutal Idaho winter! So my guess is that was what it came from.
Could a lot of knocking from bad injectors have caused the extra metal?

·
Registered
233 Posts
My 05 has injector knock that causes people to double-take when walking by my truck. Yet, my brother in-law's 05 is quiet as a mouse compared to mine.

My injectors have been "checked" by Ford many times and were given a clean bill of health.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts