Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 F250.. which came with the legendary 03 turbo. Just before the warrenty was up the dealership replaced the turbo, saying the vanes were pitting, but they replaced it with a newer 06 turbo. I want to go back to an 03 and found one at a junkyard for 20$ but it does not have the housing on the exhaust side... Is the housing the same between the two turbos to where i can swap the two, or should I pass up this opportunity?

·
Registered
60 Posts
WHAT IS THE DIFF FROM AN 03 AND A 06 BECAUSE IVE HAD MY TURBO REPLACED 5TIMES FOR NO LOSS OF POWER AND THEN I GOT 3 DEFECTIVE ONES . THE TRUCK JUST TURNED 64,000. BUT I LOVE MY TRUCK I WOULDNT GET RID OF IT FOR NOTHING!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I don't think it's possible for them to put an 06 style turbo on an 03. I don't think the 06 pedestal will even fit. I'm sure you still have an 03 turbo. Did the whistle go away?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The level of the whistle decreased dramatically when they changed the turbo. I can remove the downpipe and count the fins, 10 on an 03, correct?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
yesssir. As far as the 03 turbo you found, I would wait it out and buy one that is in dececnt shape. I've seen some at local junkyards and I don't know if I would even put it in the bed of my truck let alone anywhere near the engine compartment. lol

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
does anyone know if the 03 10 vane will fit on the 05s or 06s
yes you can do it i think one of the MAP guys did it on his 06' 06TWO50Diesel (Nate) did it i would talk to him

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
I have a 2003 F250.. which came with the legendary 03 turbo. Just before the warrenty was up the dealership replaced the turbo, saying the vanes were pitting, but they replaced it with a newer 06 turbo. I want to go back to an 03 and found one at a junkyard for 20$ but it does not have the housing on the exhaust side... Is the housing the same between the two turbos to where i can swap the two, or should I pass up this opportunity?
Pass it up...

WHAT IS THE DIFF FROM AN 03 AND A 06 BECAUSE IVE HAD MY TURBO REPLACED 5TIMES FOR NO LOSS OF POWER AND THEN I GOT 3 DEFECTIVE ONES . THE TRUCK JUST TURNED 64,000. BUT I LOVE MY TRUCK I WOULDNT GET RID OF IT FOR NOTHING!
see below and watch this video...
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-mod-help/41212-07-03-turbo-swap.html

The level of the whistle decreased dramatically when they changed the turbo. I can remove the downpipe and count the fins, 10 on an 03, correct?
10 = 03
12 = 04
15 = 05

yes you can do it i think one of the MAP guys did it on his 06' i forget who
Yeah, that was Eric. We put an 03 turbo and pedistal on his 07.

·
Registered
512 Posts
What is so much better with the 03 turbo rather than all the other years? The difference in the turbo fins really make it better? Can someone explain why its better?
Thanks I'm helping a friend out with his 6.0 I dont know them that well.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
I did (actually Marty did, I handed him tools:hehe:) an 03 swap on my 07. What Marty listed is correct.

The only difference in mounting is the pedestal. So, if the dealer put an 06 on, they only have to swap pedestals too.

As for performance, I noticed a smoother quicker spool up, 4-5lbs more boost on same tunes and have heard reports of lower EGTs slightly.:nod: The 03s also move slightly more air at the higher RPMs. Think of an 03 as one small step down from a hybrid, but an improvement over the 05-07 ones.:thumb:

And you get the cool whistle!:hehe:

As for the one in the junkyard, I'd hold off. For $20, honestly I doubt it would be safe to use. Just my :twocents:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I still have to take it down to see whats in it now... Trucks at the shop having the trans rebuilt...

How much would a used, but in good shape, 03 turbo cost on average?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The turbo is in a junkyard for a reason. Its junk :rofl:

It should cost from 500$ to 1k. Ebay might help you snag one cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts