Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just had the MBRP 4" "off road" turbo back pipe installed on my 03 6.0 PSD. The turbo is unbelievably loud! I researched this topic intently but i didnt think it would be that loud. I may get some flak for this but is there any way to tone down the system? I was looking at the magnaflow high flow cat but at $260 I am doubting that it would tone down the turbo whistle....? Maybe a muffler? Any recommendations would be helpful! (EGTs arent a major concern at this time as I dont tow much)

Thanks, Ronin

·
Registered
216 Posts
Lol you can take my '07 turbo, and I'll take your '03 hahah

·
Registered
443 Posts
A muffler helps. I have the cat delete on my 04 that has the 03 turbo and with the muffler still on it isn't way loud. You can still hear the whistle but not like a straight pipe.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
A cat takes the whistle out quite a bit. At least on my 07 there is a major difference between cat and no cat. Granted no cat is no where near as loud as an 03 but it is def louder and I miss it, living in Cali.

Dik

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Pops used to say "diffrent strokes for diffrent strokes", I was actully thinking about putting a cone on my 5" to get it louder! But you know what I was the kid with multiple playing cards in his spokes too...

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm actually thinkin bout yankin the muffler now. Just gotta get the pipe and some time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may just go with the aftermarket cat. It would also help when emissions come around next year : (. I am digging the deep throaty sound but the turbo gets to me after a while.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Find a packed muffler, like a glasspack to kill some of the turbo whistle.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
its only so loud because of the 03 turbo....

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I may just go with the aftermarket cat. It would also help when emissions come around next year : (. I am digging the deep throaty sound but the turbo gets to me after a while.
DO NOT get an "aftermarket" catalytic converter. Waste of money. Hit the classifieds sections of this site or clist or ebay or your local junk yard and get yourself a good used 6.0L cat converter from any 6.0L will work. There is NO "california model" or anything like that. If you end up running custom tunes, expect the heat generated to blow the honeycomb out. Hollow the cat out and stick the longest Magnaflow muffler you can on there, I think hte one I got is 30 or 32 inches long. It really helped shut the whistle up.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i got a small magna flow 4in muffler it works great at tonin down the whistle, which is why i tried it

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Half my exhaust is a silverline kit. The muffler, which isn't on anymore was a straight through muffler, looked like a straight through 4inch pipe except for tiny little half cups throughout the inside, and a thin wall of fiber-pack. It cut down on the whistle at idle and a nice sporty tone driving. Not sure how other manufacturers muffler look.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Half my exhaust is a silverline kit. The muffler, which isn't on anymore was a straight through muffler, looked like a straight through 4inch pipe except for tiny little half cups throughout the inside, and a thin wall of fiber-pack. It cut down on the whistle at idle and a nice sporty tone driving. Not sure how other manufacturers muffler look.
That's what my MBRP muffler looks like. I put a turn-down tip on my exhaust and it toned the whistle down some - the sound just points down instead of blasting in people's face driving by.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
are the turbos different on the 03 compared to an 04-07?
Yes there is a difference. In 2003 they used a 10vane turbo and then in 04 they changed it to a 13vane and I believe in 05 it changed again to a 15vane.

This is what I can remember, someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Your kit came with a muffler, right? Give it a shot and see if it's gives you the sound you were going for. If not, google search 6.0 resonator. A bunch of different companies make them in both 18" and 30" lengths, and you install this either where your cat or your muffler would be.

If it makes you feel any better, I went from a straight piped 05 turbo to a 03 and had the same reaction. I got used to it after a couple of days and happily drove it that way for two years. Then decided the whistle was too much for my liking and went back to a 05 turbo. Then installed my muffler. And now I'm considering adding a resonator.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Still have my MBRP Muffler in the bubble wrap sitting in my garage, if you want it let me know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts