Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off i would like to say hello first time poster :)

Now down to business , My truck blows out huge amounts of white smoke when i start it smells very rich of diesel , it doesn't smell like coolant at all . I was told that it was the egr cooler by a diesel shop here and he said pull the egr and have a look and see if its damp in the intake is one way of diagnosing this problem , okay so i pulled the egr and its bone dry any suggestions ? could it still be the egr cooler ? or is it an injector problem Thanks for your time guys . oops id also like to say that i dont let it run long enought because it reaks so bad of fuel and the cloud of white is huge so im not sure if it ever clears up . i also bought this truck like this very cheap to try and fix it up my self so i guess it could be anything .

·
Registered
186 Posts
im no mechanic but ive talked to my local Ford diesel mechanic alottt..were like best friends now that i bought my Powerstroke and he says white smoke= an EGR cooler, the oil cooler, or maybe even the turbo! if its not the egr ur next choice would be to check the oil cooler...and u had to take the turbo off to get to the egr..how did it look?

·
Registered
186 Posts
If your talking about the Egr Cooler, it is not in the front of the engine. it is under the turbo..towards the back of the engine...i dont know what EGR part is in the front of the engine.. unless the 04 6.0 is diff, cuz thats where mine is at and i watched the mechanic take mine out. and the egr cooler is what caused the white smoke, and its not that easy to get to. u have to remove ur turbo and some other stuff to get to it..kind of a pain in the butt!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea sorry.il explain a little better the mechanic at the diesel shop said pull the egr valve not the cooler to see if there was damp in the intake the egr valve is located at the top of the intake at the front of the engine the egr cooler is under the intake your right but i didnt want to pull my intake off yet if that wasnt the problem and when i pulled the egr valve out it was dry in the intake so it might be something else

·
Registered
186 Posts
if im right ur mechanic was having u check to see if the EGR cooler was leaking, however it might not be leaking, it might be clogged! some EGR coolers completely crack and dump fluid into the engine, and some get clogged and thats what causes the white smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep he was having me check to see if it was leaking clogged egr cooler causes white smoke well this guy wanted to charge me 500$ for a delete kit is that a standerd price for one ?

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Blown turbo or bad injectors can cause white smoke on start-up, as well as blown headgaskets. Look at the degas bottle for white residue around the cap, pull the IC pipe from the turbo and look for excessive oil. Also start the truck and pull the oil fill cap off to see if you have excessive blow-by.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
okay i took the ic pipe off and i checked the cap and the coolant there was no oil in the coolant or white residue at all clean and the IC pipe had a very small small hint of oil resedue definatly not enough to cause this much white smoke if any smoke at all the exhaust doesnt smell like oil or coolant at all it just smells like rich rich diesel pulled oil cap didnt start it because i dont want to piss the neighbours off during the day with all the smolke haha but there was no moisture in there as well pulled dipstick looks black as can be no milkyness to it at all thank you guys with the help so far

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Check for blow-by. But if you have an injector leaking down while sitting, it will smoke, but clear up after running a bit. If you have an injector hung open it will not stop smoking. I think you have an injector problem either way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay so tonight i checked for blow by out the oil filler there was nothing i had it going for about a minute and the smoke that came out from that time lingered for a good 10-15 mins afterwords dunno if that helps a little more solve the mistery . tomorrow im taking it to the diesel shop and geting them to do a buzz test see what comes up any thing else i should get done

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If it is an early build 03, it could have f'ed injectors. I seriously doubt the cooler is bad, as the 03's have the best coolers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay so i went to the shop and aperently my truck had a buzz test done on it there before i bought it .... and nothing came up . soooo whats my next steps what can i do to diagnose this problem i cant get into a differnt shop for a week what tests can i do without a scanner to figure out witch one could be doing this ? like drop the exhuast manafolds to see witch one is smoking ? or checking with an ohm meter ? thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine was turbo...then head gasket, turbo was cleaned and stopped the smoke

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea ive looked the turbo over pretty good and it doesnt look like its leaking at all and it spools fine and everything . the truck kinda runs a bit rough too i dont think i have it running long enough to have any smoke coming from the turbo . as soon as it starts its instant

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same exact symptoms (clouds of rich diesel smelling lingering white smoke on start up and intermittently even after fully warmed up) I replaced all 8 injectors and deleted the EGR with no change, also had everything reflashed at ford dealer and still same problem...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts