Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just wanted to state you guys have been solving my problems for the past 3 years! Now I have a issue that's been kicking my rear end. I've read most of the cold start issues but it seems like there's no clarification on the solution. This issue is a hit or miss in the mornings, but when it occurs the truck will start right away and my hpop is about 800+ psi and my IPR is roughly mid 30% and shuts off right after, or the truck will sound like a few injectors are sticking and level out. I'm located in Houston Texas and the guys at PSP diesel have been trying to figure it out. They already replaced the ICP twice and checked my IPR. The truck goes back to them later next week to figure out the issue and I'm sure the guys are frustrated as much as I am. But i wanted to know if we are missing something? I have a replacement FICM harness coming in next week as well.

A little further details to the truck:
Mileage: 255000
Head gasket replaced @ 250000 along with fuel filters (Not studded, i know i got screwed:()
Blue spring kit
Coolant filtration
Oil changes done with T6 5W-40 with Archoil and OEM filter Every 5K
ICP replaced once when head gasket was done and twice with PSP Diesel
Original Air filter

I do not believe the hpop is going out due to it cranking right away. But I may be wrong. I've attach some screenshots of my gauges. I was roughly going 65-70 Mph when the hpop is 1055 psi and accelerating when the pressure was 970. Thanks in advance gentlemen. Y'all saved me thousands in the pass.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,812 Posts
So your ICP pressure is only 970 when accelerating? Maybe I didn't read that correctly, but it doesn't sound right.

Watch the ICP and ICP desired when accelerating, along with the IPR % duty cycle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your ICP pressure is only 970 when accelerating? Maybe I didn't read that correctly, but it doesn't sound right.

Watch the ICP and ICP desired when accelerating, along with the IPR % duty cycle.
You read it correctly. Will do. I'm waiting for the injector retainer clips to come in today. I lost one when i notice a injector 5 connection were exposed. I'll give an update later this evening or early tomorrow morning. Ill try to record my readings when I start it as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Sorry for the delay, so I was incorrect, accelerating is roughly 1500 Psi and Cruising is at 950 psi. This morning the start was not bad other than some minor stiction and leveling out.

Here is a link of my readings this morning.

·
5,812 Posts
Sounds classic for an injector acting up.

So you posted that you are running the original air filter ..... at 250k miles?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds classic for an injector acting up.

So you posted that you are running the original air filter ..... at 250k miles?
When I stated original meaning I only replaced it using the oem filter. I replaced the filter roughly at 245000 miles. Sorry for the confusion. Well I just scan for trouble codes and i see P1378 for ficm supply voltage. I just replaced my battery terminal. I check both batteries and both seem to be in range. Did a load test and passed. FICM voltage is 48. Also had P0275 for cylinder 5 but I'm 100% sure its because of the FICM harness. Wires were exposed and replacement will be here this coming Wednesday.

·
5,812 Posts
P1378 is FICM logic voltage. You can have a bad logic board and still get 48 volts from the power board.

Could be low batteries, loose connections (or excessive circuit resistance), bad relay, or even a bad FICM: FICM detects logic power low, less than 7 volts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P1378 is FICM logic voltage. You can have a bad logic board and still get 48 volts from the power board.

Could be low batteries, loose connections (or excessive circuit resistance), bad relay, or even a bad FICM: FICM detects logic power low, less than 7 volts.
Hey Bismic just given you an update. So I have determined I have an Hpop leak. I hooked up an air hose to the IPR can hear air seeping around the pump. Waiting for a quote from PSP diesel. I'm going to tackle the oil cooler with it as well so I know it's been replaced. I'm assuming the little ball bearing on the side of the pump fell in. I heard these are common failures.

Right now I'm starting the truck with 3 key cycles to build pressure and after the 3rd she starts right up.

·
5,812 Posts
Sounds like you are making progress - always good to see updates.

Also sounds like the P1378 code was resolved with the battery work you did. That said, I would keep an eye on it.

Have you replaced the harness yet?

What year is your truck? I apologize in advance if you have already posted it and I missed it.

Are you happy with PSP diesel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you are making progress - always good to see updates.

Also sounds like the P1378 code was resolved with the battery work you did. That said, I would keep an eye on it.

Have you replaced the harness yet?

What year is your truck? I apologize in advance if you have already posted it and I missed it.

Are you happy with PSP diesel?
P1378 has not came back. I didn't clear the code either. Not sure if it just had a bad start one morning and projected the code. As for the harness, I have not gotten a chance to replace quite yet. It's been hot, rainy and a bunch of blood suckers out. Might attempt early morning tomorrow. My truck is an 03 F250. The first year for the 6.0 and last for the 7.3

As for PSP Diesel, the guys are helpful. I deal with Richard and he's always there helping me out. Would recommend them if you're in Houston. You pay for quality and honesty.

·
5,812 Posts
LOL - the 03 is in the thread title - duh!

03 and 04 had a lot of harness issues for sure.

As far as the HPOP, it could be that ball bearing, but it could also be a suction side o-ring.

If you feel convinced that you want a new HPOP, I STRONGLY recommend getting the upgraded HPOP from DieselSite.

I am fair distance from Houston, but make trips there occasionally. Good to know of a good shop there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL - the 03 is in the thread title - duh!

03 and 04 had a lot of harness issues for sure.

As far as the HPOP, it could be that ball bearing, but it could also be a suction side o-ring.

If you feel convinced that you want a new HPOP, I STRONGLY recommend getting the upgraded HPOP from DieselSite.

I am fair distance from Houston, but make trips there occasionally. Good to know of a good shop there.
Another update....

So after having a little stroke with the price of a HPOP and oil cooler peaking at 3k+. I decide to dig into my situation deeper. Started with monitoring my gauges carefully each morning start. Nothing usual... Then I pull the oil filter and monitor how quickly the oil fills. Took quite a while... Tried it again, then BINGO the plunger was broken. $12 later, installed today, and started it up right a away. I think I dodged a bullet. I also had a phone conversation with Benito from STP, this man knows what he's talking about. Benito gave me pointers to check out. He was positive it was not the HPOP. Big thanks to Benito for saving me thousands!

·
5,812 Posts
Hey Bismic just given you an update. So I have determined I have an Hpop leak. I hooked up an air hose to the IPR can hear air seeping around the pump. Waiting for a quote from PSP diesel. I'm going to tackle the oil cooler with it as well so I know it's been replaced. I'm assuming the little ball bearing on the side of the pump fell in. I heard these are common failures.

Right now I'm starting the truck with 3 key cycles to build pressure and after the 3rd she starts right up.

So how does the oil filter drain valve plunger issue (or even a filter bypass valve) cause a leak in the high pressure oil system (ie the leak you heard when you hooked up air to the IPR valve)? That would make an interesting explanation.

Just guessing mind you, but maybe you hooked air up without using the special fitting that actually blocks off the IPR drain opening? If so, there is no way we could really know that over the internet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts