Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6.0 is running around 210 unloaded and will spike up to 250 wile driving. Ok some back ground..... About a month ago i was towing my 5er home from Nashville when the temp spiked up to 260. Pulled to the side and found my degas bottle had split. Finally made it home and replaced the bottle and the temps were still around 250. after taking a harder look i noticed the Fan wires were shredded. I then replaced the fan with a mechanical fan, new thermostat and fresh coolant. last week i took a 1200 mile trip pulling the camper and couldn't get over 70 mph before the temp would spike up......... all help and suggestions is appreciated.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Check your coolant pressure to see if you blew a head gasket. I was constantly over 220-230 when pulling a light load and was studded and deleted at the time, but checked coolant pressure and sure enough had to redo gaskets. Went with UCF heads, arp 625's and zero issues pulling heavy loads up grades. If it is just a water pump Dieselsite makes a nice one, if you think it is just thermostat get an oem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most of the newer thermostats fail open these days. But I do agree on the water pump. If you are seeing anything visible leaking address it first. Would suck to keep testing while you know it’s leaking somewhere and blow the head gaskets. Especially if they are actually still on at this time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What is the build date on your truck? How many miles? The early 03 had a smaller water pump 90 mm and will cause a leak if you bolt to updated cover. See bold below:

2004 Model Year Changes:

The water pump impeller diameter has increased in size to 100 mm from 90 mm. Note: Both water pumps have the same bolt pattern, but a different sealing area. As a result, the smaller water pump has the physical ability to be installed into an updated front cover. If this is done, a coolant leak and over heating of the engine may result.

Make sure you pay attention to this if you are going to replace pump.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The build date on my truck is 12/02 the truck has 237K miles but i had the water pump replaced with a Motorcraft pump about 6 years ago. This time i am going back with metal impeller.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,653 Posts
I hate to say it, but head gasket issues are likely. If not a root cause, then a consequence from the high temps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may want to watch this, it is a great way to test for head gaskets: youtube.com/watch?v=wis6BFvI7zY at least rule them out.

Parts to build test gauge are not that much, find hardware store and purchase everything in one spot usually. I ordered this as I was not in a hurry: ebay.com/itm/1-8-NPT-Air-Compressor-Lower-Mount-Pressure-Gauge-0-100-PSI-Side-WOG-2-Face-/273650162866?hash=item3fb6d21cb2

You can reuse the gauge for other things like testing fuel pressure with the correct adapters. I wish you luck and hope it is not HG's.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks i have done the head gasket check and it is not reading any excessive pressure. going to change the water pump and thermostat this week and see what happens

1 - 10 of 10 Posts