Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my factory lines at 170k mi, were leaking at the seals. I thought, hey why not replace them? New lines came with fittings and a xover line, which I did not use or care to discuss, but after initial install began leaking at same fittings.
Now after 3 X r&r LEAKING!
Has anyone tried replacing these oversized, stiff, in the way lines with formed metal lines (like brake lines)?
Is there some reason this won't work?
If nothing else, how do I prevent the leaks on what I have now?
Please help me out here.

· Premium Member
12,035 Posts
There is one true solution....

CNC Fab LLCs hpop replacement kit. its 1/3 of the price and 1/3 of the moving parts and o rings compared to ford oems kit and ONE OF THE FEW times folks will reccomend a non motorcraft part for their powerstrokes. Very popular, easy to install and much simpler/far less to leak option not to menton the price.... Coreys business has been helping 7.3l folks for a long time.

Stay away from the hceaper hydrualic lines of ebay they fail soon.

· Registered
1 Posts
@[email protected]

I have a question.

What is the difference between

and

It looks to be a extra line that comes w/ one?

· Vendor
13,783 Posts
@[email protected]

I have a question.

What is the difference between

and

It looks to be a extra line that comes w/ one?
The HPX line is not factory, and it helps keep the pressure more consistent between the two heads. We have a kit that includes all three lines for a bit less money when purchased together.

· Registered
84 Posts
@[email protected] on your site it talks about the problem the crossover line is supposed to help. Oil pressure "spikes" bc of the speed of injectors firing. Does this problem also occur if the split spots have been replaced with single shots, where I suppose the injectors fire less since it's a single shot?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

· Registered
117 Posts
A few thoughts on the subject:

Any local hydraulic shop can provide you with the adapters and hoses to do what CNC provides, but neither the hydraulic hose nor the Boss O-rings will.be tolerant of the temps of our HPOP systems: so go with the CNC kit.

My understanding of the purpose of the crossover is to provide a more balanced pressure to the injector for the #8 cylinder. #8 is at the end of the DS HPO rail, and immediately follows its upstream neighbor, #6, in the firing order… thus the common 7.3 #8 cackling, and the long-lead injector to mitigate this.

Though many owners believe that an HPX is simply an unnecessary addition of a potential failure, I would do mine again in a heartbeat for the smoother and quieter idling. But results may vary.

· Vendor
13,783 Posts
@[email protected] on your site it talks about the problem the crossover line is supposed to help. Oil pressure "spikes" bc of the speed of injectors firing. Does this problem also occur if the split spots have been replaced with single shots, where I suppose the injectors fire less since it's a single shot?
It still happens with all injectors, even common rail, but those are a bit different animal.

Single shot injectors are a bit more noisy by nature because there is no pilot injection event like the split shots have. Single shots will make your truck idle a bit more like a medium duty dump truck, since that's what Navistar typically put in those trucks/busses.

· Registered
218 Posts
I’d like to add a question here
@[email protected]
I am using the adrenaline pump, which does away with internal check valves. This supposedly allows full volume of flow to both sides and I remember reading at the time that this “feature” means a crossover line is not needed.
My thoughts are that another link in this circuit would still provide an advantage in keeping a balance between the heads. However, being that there isn’t really a return line all the pump is doing is providing pressure.
Do you have an opinion on this?

· Registered
218 Posts
Guess I tagged the wrong guy, since this question doesn’t lead to a sale.
Would it make a difference if I said I was running cncfab lines.
Probably not, this makes three questions in a row I’ve posted going without a reply.
I’ll see my way out :ROFLMAO:

· Administrator
27,124 Posts
Not sure if you are poking at a vendor for funsies or to test the ban limits.

Hey @[email protected] stop running your business and log into the forum to help RPM Tim with free advice in less than 24 hours please.

· Registered
218 Posts
Not sure if you are poking at a vendor for funsies or to test the ban limits.

He @[email protected] stop running your business and log into the forum to help RPM Tim with free advice in less than 24 hours please.
To be clear, I was mostly admitting that a vendor was possibly not the best member to pose a general query to. But doing it in a poking fun manner was probably not a good approach when tones are hard to print.

I meant to open said query to any member of this open forum, as the aforementioned posts were.

Reactions: Heavy_GD

· Vendor
13,783 Posts
I’d like to add a question here
@[email protected]
I am using the adrenaline pump, which does away with internal check valves. This supposedly allows full volume of flow to both sides and I remember reading at the time that this “feature” means a crossover line is not needed.
My thoughts are that another link in this circuit would still provide an advantage in keeping a balance between the heads. However, being that there isn’t really a return line all the pump is doing is providing pressure.
Do you have an opinion on this?
A customer of mine who is a hydraulics/fluid power engineer posted results years ago on FTE that there is still a benefit of running a HPX line with an Adrenaline pump. The graph on my webpage for the HPX line is actually from him.

There is a return circuit (not a physical line like the fuel side on these 7.3's), but it's built into the pump housing and directly drains back to the pan via the front timing cover.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts