Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i'm looking at getting the SCT X3 tuner, but with that i'm wanting to put a new exhaust on my truck. I want my truck to be loud but sound good.. how loud depends on what will still sound good. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would work? :confused: And will I need to replace my injectors for bigger ones or anything? Thanks! .. again it's an '03 6.0L :thumb:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I have never heard a bad sounding 4" system....brand does not matter really, It all depends on how much money you want to spend.

For just a tuner you dont need to switch out injectors.....but you should get gauges to go with the tuner though.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Get a 4" straight pipe, I have heard both 4 and 5" and honestly I think the 5" is way overkill, and it sounds like it gurgles. Any 3.5" downpipe to a 4" straight your truck will sound like a Small block chevy with a jet engine strapped to it. :thumb: especially with the 03 turbo you have

SCT tuner with Eric @Innovative Tuning custom street or race tune you will go about 430hp and 810ft/lb at the wheels on stock injectors.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well I was wanting to go with a 5" thinking it's going to sound better but I guess I'll end up just going with the 4" unless i can end up hearing some that makes me change my mind.. But basically just to clear things up run a 4" straight pipe? or a cat back? and will this give it a deeper roar?? about how much am i looking at to do this?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Get a 4" turbo back with a 3.5" downpipe, like an MBRP system. They come with a muffler, and you can buy the muffler delete pipe, the loudest 6.0 is the 03 and early 04 due to the VGT vanes in the turbo.

I was thinking 5" myself when I am doing mine, but from all I read its not going to do anything until you get above 500hp. Personally I dont think 5" sounds better than 4", but thats all opinion based. You will be happy with either, but I just cant see the advantage with the price for 5", and its closer to the spare, if it even fits under there still. :dunno:

go on youtube.com and type in "6.0 straight pipe"

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm a fan of the Farmboys Diesel budget 4" kit. Cheap and good, sounds like a jet dryer cleaning a race track when the high idle kicks in.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems like all the you tube ones did the typical whistle.. i don't want a whole lot of that.. i understand i will be getting some because of the turbo but i want a deeper rumble.. will the 4 in. turbo back give me that deep rumble?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
It seems like all the you tube ones did the typical whistle.. i don't want a whole lot of that.. i understand i will be getting some because of the turbo but i want a deeper rumble.. will the 4 in. turbo back give me that deep rumble?
Yes a 4" turbo back with a flow through muffler aka a standard 4" turbo back will give you what you are looking for.

The only 2 ways I know to not have any whistle is stay stock, or switch to a Non VGT turbo, which is $$$$$ and usually for high hp setups.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I got my 4" kit from Farm Boys Diesel and love it. Fit and finish is perfect and the price is right. Plus you get that awesome 747 jet engine sound when you straight pipe it.

-French

1 - 10 of 10 Posts