Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 6.0L in my 03 Excursion started idling fast and rough this morning. I had just pulled my trailer out of the driveway and took it around the block to park it. When I stopped, the engine died. When I started it back up, it started idling fast. Then the idle jumped up and down rapidly for a while. I shut if off, and restarted it, and it ran OK for a minute.

When I moved the Excursion back to the driveway, the engine speed shot back up, and I had to hit the brakes quick to keep it from going through the garage door.

The check-engine light is now on all the time.

Could this be fuel related? I just filled up last night at a station I've never been to before (although they just replaced the tanks at this station). Could replacing the fuel filters cause the check-engine light to go out?

I have an appointment at the local dealer tomorrow, and I would like to be armed with some knowledge and questions when I take it in. I normally do all my own vehicle work, and I hate going the dealer, but I am new to Diesels.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional info. The truck has 51000 miles, and I've changed the fuel filters twice since I bought it with 46000 (once as a mater of course, and once after my mileage dropped all of a sudden for a couple of tanks of fuel).

The fuel gauge and the trip calculator have also both behaved strangely since I bought the truck. The fuel gauge will often drop to zero even though I have plenty of fuel. The trip meter usually overestimates how many miles I have to empty right after I fill the tank. It usually works its way back to reality after a couple of cycles of the ignition.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
119 Posts
Could be the ICP sensor. A fuel pump isnt going to set a check engine light......but I have seen stranger things. Also maybe the FICM is acting up. Without the codes I really cant pin point the problem. But if your getting, fuel to the filter on top at a decent rate fuel pump should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts