Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03 6.0 running problems

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  dannyboy950 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, after looking at serval other threads everyones problems looks and sounds different to me then my problem im having. This is my first 6.0, i just bought the truck. Havnt had it a wk yet! Guy stuck it in me, after i transferred and then drove it long enough for it to do it, he told me thats why he sold it! He couldnt figure it out, after telling me theres nothing wrong with it in the world Then he proceeds to tell me when you first crank it in the mornings its weak. Well sure enough one morning it was weak as all get out, no whistle! Hmm sounds like the vanes in the turbo sticking. The next morning after i took off turbo and cleaned and reinstalled it ran great! Whistlin like it suppose to, So at that point im sure thats why he says it runs like crap in the mornings! assuming that solved my problems! Not just yet! The problem im having is odd, i crank truck up sometimes u can hear turbo, and it runs real good. Then times i start truck up and you cant hear turbo until high rpms and it kicks in breaks loose and does great. Until u let off the pedal same thing over and over again. But when you crank it and you can hear turbo it runs great with no problems until you drive it about 30 miles. Allowing it time to get real good and warm and it starts doing it, and only comes in at high rpm. By letting off it and then easin back into it, it then does it agin until you hit a high rpm!

Things ive done to try and fix

took map sensor out and cleaned (was little dirty not bad)
took egr out and cleaned (nasty dirty as all get out)
took turbo off and cleaned (vanes looked liked they been sticking cleaned every piece even the vanes)
took vgt out and clean ( not to bad looking)
changed fuel filters (pretty nasty)
changed oil and filters (was thin and do a change)

Its like everytime i reflash computer by turning lights on and unhooking batterys and touching cables for 10min process, it does good after i relearn it. Until i drive for a while or get down on it. When i take vgt out and work it in and out and put back in it runs good until i or it does the samething over and over. Im ready to pull my hair out!!!! All help would be much appericated!?!?
Think its my vgt sticking?

See less See more
#6 ·
Did you happen to notice when you cleaned the turbo if the hole in the plate was round or was it elongated oval shaped. Also you may want to pull the EBP sensor and see if the tube is carboned up. PCM compares MAP;Maff and EBP readings to tell the VGT solenoid what to do.

#9 ·
Well i drove it when i first took off it done the same thing for the first 3 miles. then it cleared up and done fine ive drove it round 20 miles. Shut it off a couple times and restarted it so far so good i know more in the morning and tomorrow when i get some milage on it.
Truck has 126,000 miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.