Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this truck 150k. unit idles rough. had no power (i mean no power) wount hardly pull itself untill coolant temp is above 160deg. then it is slow and slugish. there are no codes. pulled the egr out it was clean. changed both fuel filter. runs a little better but not much. checked all the pins on the back of the ecm they are good. need some help.on this one. allso whats a good scan tool to for thiese trucks. thanks nick

·
Registered
264 Posts
Check the FICM Voltage levels. Any Scantool can pull codes, but the most low-cost monitor to monitor Temperatures is a ScanGuage II. Most people end up with an Edge Insight CTS though in the end, as it is the most superior monitor for our trucks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It sounds like you have a fuel supply/injection problem. Get it scanned again to see if you throw any codes now. Then:

Test the FICM voltage, should be in the 46-48 volt range. There are many posts on-line detailing the procedure and what is good and not good.

Listen to the hfcm (on the frame rail below the drivers seat), it should sound like it's spinning freely. If it sounds labored or inconsistent it might not be providing enough fuel to the fuel presure regulator. The sound is hard to explain, but you know what I mean. Mine sounded kinda bound up, because it kinda was. I guess you'll know it when you hear it. If it sounds like it spins faster while you lightly tap it with a wrench, good bet its on its way south. It can take out injectors if you run it with low pressure. Fuel PSI should be in the 65-70 range. Bad HFCM can cause injector codes. Rule it out before replacing injectors. Ask me how I know.

I recommend a fuel pressure gauge, and installation of the blue spring fuel pressure regultor upgrade. It's less than $60 through Towsley Ford Parts Depot and cheap insurance.

Make sure you have clean oil in it.

6.0's need consistent voltage, fuel pressure, and clean oil to run happy. All those and a fair bit of good luck won't hurt.

I'm not a tech, just passing on lessons I learned the hard way. All advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Good luck to you.

Herman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts