Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and new to diesels and can use some help. I have a '03 F350 with the 6.0. When my truck sits for half of a day or more and I try to start it, it will turn over for a long time (around a full minute) and it pumps out tons of white smoke. Sometimes I'll hear it start to fire for a half a second and then back to cranking. Once it starts I have no problem starting it right back up. It does this during the day or at night and it is in the 80's here. I've searched the forums and haven't found any really good answers for this.

Does anyone know what is causing this or are there some definite things I can check for this? And more importantly than what is wrong, is how do I fix it or check it? And please keep in mind that I'm new to this so be careful with the accronyms and pictures of where things are located would be awesome! I had to read atleast 10 threads before I figured out what the heck HPOP meant.

Oh and the other thing is I'm taking the turbo off anyways to replace it, is there anything I should check or just go ahead and replace while I'm in there? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
670 Posts
how many miles, could it be bad injectors leaking fuel while it sits and then hard start and smokes while it burns all the extra diesel? Im not sure hopefully a tech will chime in here good luck!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Again I might be totally wrong but i would get a scaner and do a buzz test and cylinder contribution test and see if they all pass. If its a sweet smell out the exhaust i would say its egr cooler related, but it sounds more like injectors from the long crank and starts fine once its been running. keep posting and someone smart will come around.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
2003 model years have been notorious for injectors dumping raw fuel into the exhaust causing the exact symptom you describe. 2003 model years also NEVER have EGR cooler failures (unlike 2004 to 2007 model years), at least not in my experience.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
im going with injector failure. white smoke is raw fuel, or coolant but i doubt its coolant.

try to get the truck scanned and see what you can find. 03s hardly ever throw a check engine light. 168k is a good amount of miles for them crappy injectors in the 03s so i would check to see if you find any problems there

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
2003 model years have been notorious for injectors dumping raw fuel into the exhaust causing the exact symptom you describe. 2003 model years also NEVER have EGR cooler failures (unlike 2004 to 2007 model years), at least not in my experience.
seriously, AGAIN with this, just because you haven't had one single failure (which I find hard to believe) doesn't mean they "never" fail..I know we have had a ton of them..

with that said, its probably and injector. You can pull the oil fill cap and see if once its running its pouring smoke out of there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. The check valve in the oil filter housing was stuck open causing the oil to drain out of the reservoir after the truck was shut off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same problem with mine. The check valve in the oil filter housing was stuck open causing the oil to drain out of the reservoir after the truck was shut off.
Where is this check valve? Is it in the filter housing? On the outside? Or part of the housing? And how do you fix it? Replace it or clean it?

And in case that doesn't work, how is the best way to test for the injectors. Do I need to just suck it up and pay the dealer $120 for their diagnostic?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I brought mine to the dealship because it was still under warranty. I brought it back to them four times before they figured out what was wrong. I'm not possitive but i think the check valve is located underneath the reservoir. I know it took them two days to replace.

Diagnostics could not find the problem because they looked at it four times and could never figure out what was wrong. I believe the mechanic unscrewed the cap on the oil filter housing and found no oil in the reservoir after the truck sat there overnight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I brought mine to the dealship because it was still under warranty. I brought it back to them four times before they figured out what was wrong. I'm not possitive but i think the check valve is located underneath the reservoir. I know it took them two days to replace.

Diagnostics could not find the problem because they looked at it four times and could never figure out what was wrong. I believe the mechanic unscrewed the cap on the oil filter housing and found no oil in the reservoir after the truck sat there overnight.
When I remove the cap and the oil filter, should it be full or almost full?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may want to check the glow plug module connectors as well. I have had some with poor connections and had some with bad modules.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
i would like to know what you find out mine is hard to start as well it will crank for 25 or seconds in the mornig befor it cranks over and thers a little white cloud

·
Registered
52 Posts
All i know is what he told me. It should have some oil in the bottom of the reservoir. He told me mine was dry after is sat all night.

I wish I could help more. :dunno:

My truck cranks up right away now with no white smoke.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!! I will check the filter housing first. Then I'll check the glow plug connectors.

If that's not the problem, should I then do the dealer diagnostic thing?

And I will for sure post the out come because its always annoying reading these other posts that just end with no out come even after they said they would. It may be a week or two since I'm just doing it myself and can only work on the weekends.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
everyone with a problem in here, how are your batteries have you put a load tester on them to see how they are?

a poor battery can cause issues, FICM failure, long cranks ect

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can understand your frustration. :doh: Ford had so many problems with this motor so there are so many things that can go wrong. I beat my head against the wall a many of times with this slow crank problem. All it took was one experienced mechanic to figure out how simple of a fix it would be. And this check valve falure was not a common problem!!

Anyway, I would try to find a reputable mechanic shop in your area instead of a dealership. You may even find a better deal.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mine did this once, after it sat for a month. Personally, I'm not buying the bad injector theory. First, it would be unlikely that enough of the injectors failed, causing minute-long cranking before the engine starts.

I'm leaning towards either a.) a bad engine sensor somewhere causing improper start of injection timing (coolant temperature? oil temperature? fuel temperature?), b.) an issue with the high pressure oil system, or c.) a bad check-valve at the bottom of the oil filter.

For proper diagnosis, you really need to get the truck on a scan computer that gives you sensor readouts, and see what's going on while it's cranking, and then after it starts.

For the oil filter housing, you will never see oil in it. As soon as you unscrew the cap, it opens the check valve at the bottom of the housing and drains the oil back into the engine. If you ever do see oil, then your check valve is stuck closed, which doesn't actually cause any problems, except for sloppy filter changes. I'm not sure how you'd check to see if it was stuck open... perhaps someone else can shed some light on that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got issues to with my 03 6.0L....it won't even start now without ether unless it's been running and I shut it off then start it up within 10 minutes or so. When I do fire it up,it will idle a bit rough and if I hold the throttle wide open (when hot or cold) it poors white/bluish smoke out the pipes. (I have dual exhaust straight pipe). Today I got pissed off with it and held it wide open for 10 minutes or so...lol after about a minute or two it cleared up and I would rev it on and off then wide open (3900 RPM's) I held it so long it started overheating. Then I let it cool down then shut it off. Took it out for a ride around town all day and it hasn't ran this good in about a month. Sounds like I'm a retard but I'm so pissed off with this POS 6.0L Ford engine.....
Sorry to hijack but I have similar problems to what's posted here..Do I need injectors,ICP,EGR cooler,EGR valve,ICP or IPR sensors....what a fu^&ing joke!!!! Why do these a$$holes need so many damb sensors???? Would love to strangle the engineers who designed this engine...lol
I just wish it was easier to diagnose.....
Just started it up...engine was off for 15 minutes...it started right up...held it wide open and it wouldn't rev out just smokes whiteish /blue...then it cleans out and revs out prewtty good...any suggestions??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was diagnosed at a shop and the glow plug control module was bad. New module and now she starts up. On to the next problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts