Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 03 F250 with the 6.0 Powerstroke. This is the first diesel I have ever owned, so I knew going into it...that there would be some issues when it came to maintaining it. Here is my first issue:

I got the oil changed and had a safety inspection done (as I do with all used car purchases), but two days after the oil change, and after driving it all day and shutting it off...it cranks but won't start. If I start it and let it idle, without revving the engine...it will start. As soon as I hit the accelerator though, it sputters as it idles down. When I shut it off and try to restart...cranks but won't start.

It's pointing to a fuel issue, but being a first time diesel owner, and before I spend a fortune taking it in for potentially something simple...I wanted to see if anyone could assist me on this?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,972 Posts
What brand oil filter did you use? Is your oil filter cap an OEM cap? An OEM cap will be about 1 inch high above the housing. An aftermarket cap will be taller. If you can post a picture of the top of the engine, that might help us.

You are probably going to need a way to look at engine parameters (PIDs) with a scan tool.

Download ForScan Lite to a smartphone and buy the appropriate OBDII adapter (I like BAFX brand) - BlueTooth for Android and WiFI for iOS.

Read the no-start thread I have linked in my signature.

·
5,972 Posts
You are going to need a monitoring system.

Here is the link to the thread I mentioned:

It sounds like a leak in the high-pressure oil system (which is used to actuate the injectors), but to verify you need the monitoring and code reading ability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll pick one up and go from there. It just seems odd to me that it happened right after I got the oil changed (day after).

·
5,972 Posts
Yeah, that is what I was thinking at first when I asked about the filter and cap. Everything looks ok on that issue.

If it comes down to an issue in the high pressure system, then you may need to do an air test. The best way to do that is to remove the IPR valve and air test from that port. To do that, you will need to buy the special fitting that blocks off the drain port. We can post links if you would like. The 03 model year has issues with the ICP sensor also, so that may be something to look at. Both the ICP and IPR are going to be behind the turbo and somewhat hard to get to. Read up on it and you will find it is easier that it seems at first,

Also, you may want to do a few things that are free and easy:
1. Verify oil level (not too high and not too low). You probably have already done this.
2. Get a volt meter out and individually check the batteries and then check the charging system.
3. Remove the secondary fuel filter, let the fuel drain out (or remove it if it doesn't drain), then have someone turn the key on (do NOT crank). The fuel bowl will fill and it should fill quickly, so be prepared. Not only should it fill quickly (post the seconds it takes to fill), but there should be NO BUBBLES.
4. You can do a similar test on the low pressure oil pump - remove the oil filter and crank using the starter solenoid wire jumpered to the passenger side battery positive terminal (keep the key out of the ignition). If you need help fining that wire do a search or someone will post a help on it.

You should also do a search on a bubble test for injector issues.

Actually, this should all be in the link I posted above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts