Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have a 2003 6.0L F-250. In May of 2008 the alternator went out and left me stranded, I replaced it roadside and was problem free for a year. In June of this year I once again had the alternator go out. Replaced it again. 3 weeks ago the alternator went out again and I replaced it. After replacing it this time I was able to drive for 2 days before the batteries died. Now the batteries have to be charged every night with an external charger. I have had the alternator tested and tried another alternator. Nothing seems to charge the batteries. I took it to 2 Ford dealers and they say everything tests fine. I tore the truck apart and spent 7 hours tracing back all the electrical wires in the cab and engine compartment to make sure nothing was grounding out. Everything was ok. I then heard about the "fusible links" and had no idea how to test those. I wiggled them around and now my truck runs really rough! I have no idea where to go from here so I am hoping someone has an idea. Let me know if you need any more info.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, after a few weeks of going through this I got sick and tired and told AutoZone to just give me a new alternator. I switched it out and it seems to be charging fine now! Now the only problem I have is after I played with the fusible links coming off the passenger side battery the truck runs a little rough still. Anyone have an idea on this issue?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'd start off by replacing the fusible links or trying to wiggle them around again. But I'd be willing to bet that a fusible link is part of the problem (as far as the truck running rough is concerned) I think the ROOT of the problem is you have a grounded wire somewhere. It's going to be a major PITA to trace with the hundreds of feet of wire in the truck. Even though Ford looked at it, it's a hard to tell with all that wire. I would start by looking around the alternator, engine and the batteries for a grounded wire. Start Simple. Did you have anything done to your truck prior to the the alternators starting to fail?

EDIT: I know it sounds simple, but check to make sure your wires off the alternator arent fried, grounded or corroded.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have traced just about all the wires through the engine compartment and cab. We can't find a wire grounded out at all. I did have the engine replaced about 6-7 months before the first alternator failed. How can the fuse links be replaced? I dont see how they come apart of disconnect from eachother. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
247 Posts
You just have to cut it out and resplice the ones one in. Cut some of the shrink tubing over it so you can see what it looks like on the inside. Make sure you do it with the battery disconnected. Are the fusible links "bendible"? they should be ridged and straight.

·
Registered
247 Posts
IF you have a test light, you can test them too.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
a bad battery will do this

1 - 7 of 7 Posts