Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. New to the site, been doing research on the 6.0s trying to purchase one as a tow vehicle.

Anyway, I've been looking pretty in depth at one, it has had some work done: new oil cooler, coolant filtration, blue spring, egr capped. Truck is in good shape, F250 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, 202k. I drove the truck, drove great. Of course some play in the front end. The only weird thing was an intermittent jerk/buck at throttle under low rpms. I have read some on this, seems the pedal assembly contains the TPS and some have remedied the problem with that.

No real leaks, a little moist at rear of oil pan. Everything looked good underneath, no evidence of weeping or of recent cleaning lol. Driver positive battery cable end is pretty toasty.

Had the truck inspected, overall assessment came back as good, everything works except a couple of minors things. Tech did cold start, no injector noise or issues at cold start. Tech indicated it drove much as the other 6.0s they drive. Could not duplicate jerk/buck. EOT/EGT delta @ 4.

My concern is the number of codes in this thing. Got the inspection report back and was blown away, this thing has like 20 codes. Some are for TPS, others are for ECU. I'm going to post and please give me some input as to whether I should buy or if these codes might mean walk away. Price is about 2k below market average, but it's going to need front wheel bearings and steering gear at some point. Has Edge CTS gauges and SCT tuner.

Here's info from original ad:

4inch turbo-back MBRP exhaust w/ Quiet Tone muffler. (Comes w/ original MBRP muffler if you want it `louder’!) Bulletproofed: EGR delete, new oil cooler, coolant filtration system. Blue spring upgrade, and new injector wiring harness. Rhino lined(dated, but still serviceable). New Bridgestone KO2 tires. Also, comes w/ Edge CTS2 gauges, and SCT tuner(7 tunes). Incredible running and sounding truck!

Codes:

P1876 - Transfer Case 2 wheel drive solenoid circuit failure
P1832 - Transmission Transfer Case Differential Lock-Up Solenoid Circuit Failure
B1483 - Brake Pedal Input Circuit Failure
B1318 - Battery Voltage Low
P1865 FORD - Transmission Transfer Case Contact Plate Power Short To Ground
P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS Malfunction
U2016 - Signal Link Short to Ground (Non SCP) / From NGV Module
(Read somewhere this could relate to overhead console, which isn't working.)
B1342 – ECU Is Defective (Didn't say which system)
U1058 - SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Transmission / Transaxle / PRNDL
U1073 - SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Engine Coolant
U1059 - SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Transmission / Transaxle / PRNDL
U1027 Invalid or missing data for engine rpm
U1262 – SCP (J1850) Communication Bus Fault
P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
(Read this could be related to tuner?)
P2122 FORD - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'D' Circuit Low
P2138 FORD - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'D'/'E' Voltage Correlation
P2139 Throttle/Pedal Pos Sensor Voltage Correlation DTC
P2199 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1/2 Correlation
B1792 - Autolamp Sensor Input Circuit Short To Battery

Is this an unusual amount of codes for an 03? How concerned should I be. Again truck drove great, but looking at this it might quit any minute lol.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
So...what's the question? Ahh, you've added the codes now. Can't stand when people use the term "bulletproofed" and doesn't even have studs. And is it in fact a Bulletproof Diesel cooler? What tunes are on it (from what vendor/s), how much is it? That's quite a list of codes, but could in fact be led back to only a few things throwing them. Where are you located, is it crusty underneath? If the price is good for you, and you're happy with the truck overall then go for it if you're willing to dive into those codes. There are plenty of 6.0's out there to choose from if you want to keep looking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do these codes taken together constitute a reason to walk away from the truck?

I know it's a 15 year old truck, but are these codes out of the ordinary, too much?

Really like the truck, was ready to pull the trigger, then saw all these codes.

What's a general opinion here?

·
Administrator
21,627 Posts
You need to clear those codes, drive it, and see what comes back before you can make an educated guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that might be an issue, considering I don't live near the seller. But I might be able to get a code reader.

There is some competition for the truck, and we've drug this thing out for a couple of weeks with the negotiating and inspection.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would walk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jman-

I'm in Ga. These 4x4 trucks are ridiculous here. Like I said he's about 2k or more under what the average pricing is for these trucks.

Truck is very clean underneath, but it has a layer of road grime indicating it hasn't been "cleaned" to hide a leak or something.

Tuner is from Gearhead, like 6 pre-loaded tunes and one custom tune. Custom tune is plus 150, which according to Gearhead is the maximum without studs. Of course any additional power without the studs is not great.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That is a very clean and shiny degas bottle. I get it if it was replaced when they did the EGR cooler (I did mine at the same time). It just makes me wonder. Did your diesel tech test the head gaskets with a cooling system pressure test?

·
Premium Member
11,694 Posts
Reactions: djmaguire

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Is this an unusual amount of codes for an 03?
Yes. In fact, it's an unusual amount of codes for a satellite burning up on re-entry. :)

I would say yes. ...and maybe not just that.

Some of those cides could be traced to Vref. I don't think that the comm/trans codes would be. For that, I'd be looking at connectors and harnesses.

Here is more on Vref:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1157409-monitoring-vref-torque.html

Here is a link to a thread on chafing:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/1096562-6-0-harness-chafing.html

Someone who had some of those U-codes had a dealership trace it to a short near the driver's side lift bracket. Here is that thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/854220-died-no-start-not-cps-recurring-code-u1262.html

Here is a link to wiring diagrams:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1118001-hi-res-single-page-6-0l-wiring-diagram-pdfs.html

...and here is a link to the PCED:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1231658-6-0l-diesel-powertrain-control-emissions-diagnosis-service-manual-2004-a.html

Section 4 has the DTC list that directs you to the tests in section 5.

I would start with Vref and possible connection/wire damage. Then use the PCED to address anything that remains.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's some knowledge right there!

I'm starting to wonder if I have the stomach for owning a diesel lol. Guy told me if I wasn't prepared to drop 2k at any moment I might want to think twice. I know most of the things are correctable with time, but that is the one thing I don't have a lot of.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll have to make a decision if I'm ready to take on another project.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Honestly, if he's running that tune on bolts, who knows what could happen. My HG's blew on my '07 on a 40hp tow tune. There's a possibility of it lasting you 50k miles with no issues, or 50 miles.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,863 Posts
If you decide to take a chance on it, then (IMO), resolve the low battery code first (or you could tell them you aren't interested until good batteries and a good alternator are in it.

Then clear codes and see what comes back.

Reactions: Patriot

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you decide to take a chance on it, then (IMO), resolve the low battery code first (or you could tell them you aren't interested until good batteries and a good alternator are in it.

Then clear codes and see what comes back.
I told the seller I wouldn't buy it unless all the codes were addressed. He said he would take care of it so we'll see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SrRonaldE

I would run, not walk away!! Too many unknowns to risk for 2K below the average price. I would consider '05-'07 with 200K miles or less for consideration.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would run, not walk away!! Too many unknowns to risk for 2K below the average price. I would consider '05-'07 with 200K miles or less for consideration.
I haven't heard back from him, but it would have been a considerable expense to get all those codes straightened out.

Thanks for the advice and insight everyone. I originally wanted a 7.3, but this 6.0 fell into my price point and had the right mods. But obviously it had its problems also. Looking at a 7.3 now, might get a good deal on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts