Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Someone already said check MAP sensor line and the MAP, If one is bad it will run like you stated

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Someone already said check MAP sensor line and the MAP, If one is bad it will run like you stated
Thanks for the suggestion....so you are saying that sometimes the MAP sensor can be bad but not show up when it is scanned?? Is it common for a sensor to be failing but not show on the scanner? Are there any other sensors that could be linked to these issues and not throw a code?? I left a bag of Motorcraft parts with the mechanic...EBP sensor and tube...IPR...CPS....he didn't think that would help since he didn't get a code.....I told him to change them anyway....I guess the MAP sensor is the next part to change....Thanks again for your input

·
Registered
108 Posts
First, check the mechanics of the system (is the hose in good condition and connected) not sure of codes but if the vacuum line is compromised it wouldn't show a code it just will run like crap... I left it off once and it ran but had no power since the pcm wouldn't give it any more fuel since it didn't see any boost

·
Registered
516 Posts
First, check the mechanics of the system (is the hose in good condition and connected) not sure of codes but if the vacuum line is compromised it wouldn't show a code it just will run like crap... I left it off once and it ran but had no power since the pcm wouldn't give it any more fuel since it didn't see any boost
The mechanic should be monitoring boost with his scanner when going up a hill towing

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I did check the MAP sensor hose....and it is in great shape....no cracks at all.....and I am getting sufficient boost....just not getting the power when towing uphill....the part is cheap enough(as opposed to setting this truck on fire and buying a new truck) so I will just buy a New Map sensor and hose and have it installed....

·
Registered
516 Posts
I did check the MAP sensor hose....and it is in great shape....no cracks at all.....and I am getting sufficient boost....just not getting the power when towing uphill....the part is cheap enough(as opposed to setting this truck on fire and buying a new truck) so I will just buy a New Map sensor and hose and have it installed....
I think a different dealership or something. There has to be something showing up in the monitoring. Maybe a mechanic over 40 who has lots of experience on the 7.3.

·
Registered
252 Posts
OK- just to clarify- the little strainer that you are specking of is the supply line going from the fuel bowl in the IPR assemble, right?? Hopefully that is what you were referring to...and yes, that was one of the first things that was done, after the sending unit and fuel filter was replaced- the fuel line were also blown out at that time....

[email protected], my mechanic was using the IDS scan tool....and we scanned the truck with a the travel trailer attached going uphill- he was able to see what I was talking about with the low power issue with the scanner on his lap as he sat in the passenger seat....he said to me at that time that everything was within normal ranges...no codes...so he felt that it was a fuel supply issue....and we've been pecking away at it ever since...I have purchased a few Motorcraft parts online from a discount Ford parts place....and EBS sensor with tube...CPS, and IPR sensor- after scouring the Powerstroke forums I have read that some people with similar problems did not get any codes but after replacing these parts the Power loss issue under a load was resolved- even if the parts do not address the power loss issue, this truck is an 02, so I think after 18 years it's a wise idea to change the parts anyway- I like to be proactive, BEFORE there is a problem. I know he had been talking about possible injector replacement....or HPOP replacement.....at 112,000 miles what would a compression test tell us- and if the compression test did not fall within specs then what would that indicate at that point and how would it be fixed?? Sorry for the questions, I'm not a mechanic and am trying to educate myself....haven't spoken to the mechanic since I dropped the truck off to him last friday, so I am not sure of the up to the minute data of what has been done to the truck- looking forward to your feedback
Ok its the actual fitting that screws into the head. There us a built in strainer. I'll see if I can find one and snap a picture. Anyway, the strainer can clog an since its after all filtration, it can be hard to identify.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I did have the fuel lines blown out and the strainer cleaned between the fuel bowl and the IPR....I am not sure that I am aware of this other strainer that you were talking about....I will ask my mechanic....the dual screens in the old sending unit in the tank was clean(new sending unit installed)...the fuel filter that was changed out was fairly clean/....and the screen between the fuel bowl and the IPR was pretty clean when it was all checked.....

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
He is talking about the fuel fitting that screws into the heads -- where the fuel line connects
fuel pressure would be best tested at the heads to eliminate any upstream restrictions

Some of the CPS can cause an engine to run poorly -- they are pretty cheap, so changing that out may make a difference

No power with no smoke, means you are not using fuel, fuel = black smoke
also, lack of injection oil pressure can cause the same effect
commanded fuel pulse vs actual fuel pulse should tell the story
not sure what your mechanic is testing
one of the issues with 7.3 injectors is the poppet valve wearing over time and not fully opening
this can be "fixed" with a shim kit or new injectors

Reactions: 7.3_TurboDiesel

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
He is talking about the fuel fitting that screws into the heads -- where the fuel line connects
fuel pressure would be best tested at the heads to eliminate any upstream restrictions

Some of the CPS can cause an engine to run poorly -- they are pretty cheap, so changing that out may make a difference

No power with no smoke, means you are not using fuel, fuel = black smoke
also, lack of injection oil pressure can cause the same effect
commanded fuel pulse vs actual fuel pulse should tell the story
not sure what your mechanic is testing
one of the issues with 7.3 injectors is the poppet valve wearing over time and not fully opening
this can be "fixed" with a shim kit or new injectors
Thanks hydro...

I made a copy of these 2 latest posts and will ask the mechanic when I talk to him in a little while.....he is installing an Adrenaline HPOP today....so yes, no power, no smoke.... at this point the mechanic feels that a lack of injection oil pressure is the issue....not sure exactly what type of reading you would get with those ford scanners....but it didn't show anything in absolute failure mode to indicate a clear cut problem....but I assume since we have addressed the main areas of lack of fuel delivery FIRST, he feels that the next thing would be the HPOP....and I believe he feels if the issue still persists he will want to install new injectors- I posted my issue on here because this was clear it was going to be a pain in the butt to figure out, so I was looking for input from other ford people- can never have too much input when it comes to an elusive problem like this in my opinion......I know some people have suggested I take my truck elsewhere, but this guy is the Powerstroke guru in Tucson area and his own personal truck is a 2000 7.3, which is 2 years OLDER than mine..- I have been going to this mechanic for years- he is a friend of the family and was a diesel guy for Ford for 20 years before he went out on his own...so even though this is a little bit of a witch hunt, I trust that he is really doing his very best to find the problem here....in a few of the fixes up until this point he has just charged me his cost of the part....hasn't even charged me labor....so I truly believe he is doing his best. Thanks for the input...as soon as I get to the bottom of this I will be posting the resolution for sure!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I hoped he confirmed low HPOP pressure before charging you for a pump, that is something that’s easily identifiable by low psi numbers under load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Just wanted everyone to know that I finally got to the bottom of this horrible elusive nightmare of low power when towing small travel trailer uphill- Please click here for recap of problem-

As indicated in earlier posts, this issue had everyone scratching their head- the truck ran clean, smooth and beautiful until I hooked up my 5,000 lb travel trailer- it would pull fine until I got to some sort of a grade- then it was a complete dog- 55 mph at 2200 rpm's was it and my floor was on the floor- overdrive OFF- this truck was scanned by FORD and here were no codes- all values were within normal ranges, with and without towing my TT....we replaced the entire sending unit by my request even though screens were clean and tank was clean, then moved on to new fuel filter- no improvement- I ordered some Motorcraft sensors online- even though there were no codes for any of them failing my thoughts were that even though this truck only has 113,000 miles on it it still is an 02, 18 years old- so I wanted to change things out to new to cover all bases- new IPR, new EBP and tube, new CPS- even though the truck felt a little snappier and crisp after sensor replacement the low power issue under load still remined, then my Ford guy installed an ADRENALINE HPOP....holy crap, problem solved....I heard that old familiar roar under the hood when accelerating, better throttle response and GREAT power when towing uphill- the weak stock HPOP issue was present long before I realized there was a problem because that power roar had diminished over time as did the power- it was so subtle I never noticed it until the HPOP was changed out- even though the stock HPOP was weak there was no code and the reading was within normal range....one hiccup was that I had my check engine light come on the first time I towed afterward and it ended up being code 1211....which is the ICP sensor- I was told that this is common after the Adrenaline HPOP install....so a new updated ICP sensor was installed and everything seems great....just wanted to share this update with everyone- and also tell everyone that in my experience just because you get NO CODES does not mean there is no problem- many mechanics rely too heavily on CODES, sometimes it is a complete witch hunt, which was the case for me- thank God I have a very patient mechanic who just kept pecking at it, with no help from from any type of scanning device, he just relied on his experience with diesel engines and the "What's Next" theory- Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and input- hopes this helps someone that experiences the same problem as I had!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congratulations! I have been wondering how this would turn out. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Glad the truck is running again

While I agree that sometimes the computers are thought to be the magic fix, when indeed they are just a tool -- The remaining P1211 code tells the original problem still existed
Low power can be caused by low fuel injection pressures, which the P1211 code represents
A high pressure leak or weak pump or bad ICP or laggy IPR or a poor connection to the PCM would be the culprits
Checking for codes is only part of the process, one must also monitor pressures as the engine is operated
Not only pressures, but more importantly voltages -- the PCM will substitute an inferred or made up number if the reading from a sensor is out of range -- casual reading of pressures will give a false flag and cause one to skip over a potential problem
Reading of voltages from the sensors is always accurate -- if this had been done earlier in this story, the outcome would have been shorter and less expensive
It should have been noted that the voltage from the ICP sensor was not the same as the pressure reading -- this is a quick clue that inferred numbers are being used, and not to trust pressure readings
The PCM should have thrown a code, but the 7.3 system may be more tolerant(larger fault window) than the later systems -- either way the voltage and pressure readings would be misaligned

·
Registered
516 Posts
Without a code and with valid parameters I'm surprised he found it. The hpop isn't a cheap part. I'm guessing that you have about $2k in this situation. These trucks are so expensive it makes me afraid to buy a new 6.7

61 - 76 of 76 Posts