Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The truck is never hard to start...starts right up- clean, clean, no oil leaks of any kind, exhaust or boost...accelerates smoothly...runs smoothly....just has no balls when towing the travel trailer up hill...accelerates smoothly- just craps out at 55mph....and my foot is on the floor at 2200 rpm's...

a real head scratcher

·
Vendor
12,893 Posts
Too low of miles to be injectors or hpop, but it's possible.

If he thinks it's fuel then why hasn't he put a gauge on it to watch fuel pressure under load?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts

If he thinks it's fuel then why hasn't he put a gauge on it to watch fuel pressure under load?
You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

he has done that....and it showed slightly low under a load....so we replaced the fuel pump....that was our last go round...came home, hooked up the travel trailer and no change in the low power issue going uphill

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
I would suggest a permanent fuel gauge on any 7.3 or 6.0 is a plus

1826714C2 check fitting in the head may be worn and not letting fuel into the injectors

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
He needs to hook up the gauge under load with your trailer hooked up. Doing it just driving down the road is not a true under load test.
we HAVE hooked up the gauge while the travel trailer was hooked up....drove uphill...he saw the low power issue...but everything looked within range...the fuel pressure could have been considered "Slightly low"(4 psi)...so just to rule it out...we changed the fuel pump to a brand new Motorcraft fuel pump...

·
Vendor
12,893 Posts
Also, you said your mechanic said all numbers looked fine, but you haven't posted a single number.

Nobody can help you until you post actual numbers.

·
Vendor
12,893 Posts
we HAVE hooked up the gauge while the travel trailer was hooked up....drove uphill...he saw the low power issue...but everything looked within range...the fuel pressure could have been considered "Slightly low"(4 psi)...so just to rule it out...we changed the fuel pump to a brand new Motorcraft fuel pump...
Holy crap. 4 psi is horrible. That's NOT slightly low. That's potentially damaging the injector nozzles.

Pressure needs to always be maintained at 55-65psi. Anything below 45 is risking issues.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Would like to see 50 psi at all times on a 7.3 -- but it kinda depends on where the reading was taken from -- you need to use the port just to the right and below the yellow drain lever

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Would like to see 50 psi at all times on a 7.3 -- but it kinda depends on where the reading was taken from -- you need to use the port just to the right and below the yellow drain lever
Yes, that is where the reading was taken....and it was 4 PSI below 50....so just to rule out a fuel pump issue we changed it out....aside from a new transmission, my truck has never had any issue....so all the parts are original....so even though this process includes installing some parts that do not fix the problem....I believe at this point it is a process of elimination...after 18 years, I'm ok with changing out original parts to new parts before they fail....

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Would be good to check fuel flow at the heads and take a look at the fitting I posted a few posts up

Do you get black smoke when you are pulling up a hill with the trailer?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Would be good to check fuel flow at the heads and take a look at the fitting I posted a few posts up

Do you get black smoke when you are pulling up a hill with the trailer?
I did see you mention that fitting....what do they "Call" that fitting....what is it's name??

Nope, no smoke of any kind from my truck...very clean burning...maybe sight smoke whn I first start it up....and maye a puff of smoke when I punch it...but no visible smoke at all when towing....

·
Vendor
12,893 Posts
No....the fuel pressure WAS NOT 4psi.....it was 4PSI lower than what he would have considered OPTIMAL psi
Remove the fuel fittings that go into the heads. Driver front and passenger rear.

There is a tiny snap ring that hold the "guts" in. Remove the snap ring and remove the guts and reinstall the fittings. Now you have the "high flow" fittings.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
That is a check valve to help keep pulsations out of the fuel going into the injectors

·
Registered
516 Posts
Maybe it's time to take the truck somewhere else? Maybe find a dealership or diesel shop that has a 7.3 expert?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 76 Posts