Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mornin dad drove to town and he stopped and smelled antifreeze so he popped the hood to find the water pump was leaking and rattling.
I just saw Maintain's video of how to change it and wondered how hard it would be to do? The most complex repair I have done on a PSD was changing the lift pump on my OBS.
Would we be better off to take it to the shop or attempt it ourselves?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found it pretty easy to do on mine. Go to Auto Zone and get a fan removal kit which comes with the wrench to fit the nut on the fan. You for sure need something to hold the pulley from moving while you take the nut off. I tried to use a rubberized strap wrench but that broke. I had to go to NAPA and get a universal one that worked but I don't see a need for it anymore.

NAPAONLINE®

Once that fan is off it is cake. Just make sure you torque the nuts on the pump down to 18 ft/lbs, I think.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply although we got it done sunday afternoon. Before we went to get the special fan wrench, dad remembered that somewhere we had a really big antique wrench and it happened to work great. It turned out to be a piece of cake once we got the fan off which wasn't all that difficult at all.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Can someone show me this video please the dealer wants to charge me 600 bucks I need to do this myself can anyone help me here please I need this truck for work and my pump is leaking. The truck is an 02 7.3. I need help bad here I'm going nuts on this truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts