Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy said he was coasting down to a red light and she just shut down on him with no warning, just like you turned the key off.

Here is what we have tried so far;
Swapped CPS
Swapped IPR
Swapped IDM
Listened to fuel pump and checked fuel filter bowl
Hooked predator to computer and watched engine RPM and ICP and a few others

We noticed that the ICP when cranking read 15MPA with the ICP un plugged and sometimes 0 and sometimes 15MPA with it plugged up. We also noticed the HPOP reservoir was empty so we refilled it with no change. I’m thinking the next step is to rig up a mechanical gauge and check the oil pressure to see what it is while cranking.

My next questions is “if” the oil pressure is not there while cranking what could cause it?
I’m thinking maybe an injector went bad and is not letting the pump build pressure, is that possible? What would cause the HPOP reservoir to run empty? Any other likely culprits?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About 2000 psi according to convert.

Engine oil is full of Rotella 15 40 and is changed on a regular basis.

We did get to have a little redneck fun in the process though, Thank goodness it was down hill.

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
I wish I could help a little better. No cranking at all is a bit baffling. I would assume no fuel, which it appears you have as well. The question is why. I'm surprised the HPOP reservoir was empty. That's three quarts of oil up there. I'm not an expert on how the oil, fuel and such is delivered so I'm not much help beyond the basics. Hope you get her fixed up soon,

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think his next plan of action is to remove both valve covers and inspect the wiring and see if he can tell if an injector may be bad and letting the oil leak by. He also plans to get a gauge tomorrow and check the oil pressure while cranking to see if it is near 500 psi like it is supposed to be.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
We did get to have a little redneck fun in the process though, Thank goodness it was down hill.

LOL, been there...

I think his next plan of action is to remove both valve covers and inspect the wiring and see if he can tell if an injector may be bad and letting the oil leak by. He also plans to get a gauge tomorrow and check the oil pressure while cranking to see if it is near 500 psi like it is supposed to be.
I dunno what it's supposed to be, but Gators truck, even with all the ICP issues we're havin, is peakin around 14-1500 psi ICP while cranking. So I'd think 500 might cause a long or no start condition? No expert, but with what we've eliminated on Gators truck, I think your buddy's probably got an injector goin down. His symptoms are worse than Gators, but along the same lines.

Was there any oil in the top of his ICP sensor? I think a bad ICP sensor can cause a no start.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would hook up a gauge to read oil pressure while cranking (Low pressure side). With no oil in the HPOP, you might have lost the LPOP.

I don't think the ICP will cause a no start.

Check your battery voltage as well while cranking. Must be over 11.8v to start

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he got it figured out. When he took the driver’s side valve cover off he found a small plug laying on top of the head. He then found the bole it went in and put it back in. He says it started so he shut it back off and is now putting everything back together.
So apparently a plug screwed itself out of one of the high pressure oil ports in the head and the open hole was letting all of the oil flow out instead of building enough pressure to fire the injectors.
First time I have heard of that one, how about yall?

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's pretty scary..........I wonder if someone forgot to tighten it, either at a rebuild or at the factory.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He bought the truck used around 4 years ago and it had around 50,000 miles on it then as best as I can remember so I would bet the valve cover hasn’t been off since it was built new at the factory.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LPOP is low pressure oil pump, it’s the same thing as the oil pump on any old car, it’s the one that supplies around 50 psi to the bearings and stuff but it also fills the HPOP reservoir.

The HPOP takes the 50 psi oil from its reservoir and boosts it to 500-3000 psi and sends it to the injectors where it is used to fire the injectors which then take 58 psi fuel and boost it to a God awful pressure as it squirts into the combustion chamber.

So you got regular oil pump that makes about 50 psi (engine oil)
High pressure oil pump that makes about 3000 psi (engine oil)
And the fuel pump that makes about 58 psi (fuel)

Then you got the IDM that takes 12vdc and makes 110-120vdc to fire the injectors (electricity)

All of which is controlled by the engine computer which monitors all the sensors, thinks about what to do, and then commands all the solenoids and stuff.
Simple as can be!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
i get the idm, its spark(timed) from the cps gives the injectors the signal when to open.
12 vdc to 110 vdc?????
thanks the explanation is great you gave on the pumps...

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
LPOP is low pressure oil pump, it’s the same thing as the oil pump on any old car, it’s the one that supplies around 50 psi to the bearings and stuff but it also fills the HPOP reservoir.

The HPOP takes the 50 psi oil from its reservoir and boosts it to 500-3000 psi and sends it to the injectors where it is used to fire the injectors which then take 58 psi fuel and boost it to a God awful pressure as it squirts into the combustion chamber.

So you got regular oil pump that makes about 50 psi (engine oil)
High pressure oil pump that makes about 3000 psi (engine oil)
And the fuel pump that makes about 58 psi (fuel)

Then you got the IDM that takes 12vdc and makes 110-120vdc to fire the injectors (electricity)

All of which is controlled by the engine computer which monitors all the sensors, thinks about what to do, and then commands all the solenoids and stuff.
Simple as can be!
LOL, yeah, these are fun...

And I have never heard of a plug workin out of the oil rail. Kinda weird...

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Worst part about it was that if we had any idea about the plug we could have fixed it on the side of the road in about 45 minutes instead of spending 17 hours getting back home. Stupid little 10 cent plug!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts