Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just bought a 7.3 01 Ford excursion a month ago before my move back to Florida from Colorado. Installed the Hydra tuner before we left to help get better performance and had Drive in auto sound install a new head unit.

On the drive to Florida we stopped in texas to get gas and when we pulled back onto the highway the truck would not shift into third gear. Checked all of the fuses and transmission fluid everything was fine. Found a hotel and stayed the night and the truck ran great the next day until we had to stop for fuel again, which lead to the same problem.

Took the truck to a transmission shop the next morning and the guy hooked up his computer and said the tranny was fine and the temperature was normal for the type of driving we were doing and he thinks I was having an electrical issue. I re-terminated the grounds on the batteries just to make sure nothing was funky.

Few days later it started acting up and I looked to see where the tuner was plugged into and noticed that the PCM was almost to hot to touch.

I'm starting to wonder if the tuner is giving me issues making the computer hot or if the new head unit is causing an issue?

Thoughts??

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Should have been your first thing to check since that is what changed before your trip. I would have taken the tuner out and proceeded and see if it happened again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should have been your first thing to check since that is what changed before your trip. I would have taken the tuner out and proceeded and see if it happened again.
This was the first big drive we had with the truck. All of the driving done prior was around town and it had no issues. It did make it from texas to alabama with no issues then randomly it acted up again. I think I'll take the chip out and see what it does?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I would, to see if it changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would, to see if it changes.
Ok, so I took the tuner out after it started reving pretty high to go into reverse and then wouldn't shift into 3rd and still had the same issue without the tuner. Maybe the shift solenoid is intermittent and starting to fail? I would also think torque converter but I would think it would have issues going into 2nd as well. Thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts