Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7.3L I have the new seal, I have the trans out, and I am told I need a special tool to do this.

I did not get a chance to look all the closely at it, had alot going on.

I dont have any oil on the top of the turbo pedistool but I do have an oil leak. I figure since the trans is out and the seal is $16, I might as well change it. I was talking to a buddy and he tells me I need a special tool to change it.

Anyone have any input on this. I have done rear mains on a few different fords (302/351) and a bunch of jeeps but never a 7.3.

thanks

Dan

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
heres a bump for ya

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pull the flywheel and look at the seal, if its not leaking sont mess with it. You can usually use a piece of pipe or something the correct diameter to drive on the sleeve and seal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the flywheel and look at the seal, if its not leaking sont mess with it. You can usually use a piece of pipe or something the correct diameter to drive on the sleeve and seal
Flywheel is off, trans is out, hence why I want to change it. I do believe it is seeping and I am at the perfect point to change it. Not changing it now would be silly imo. Kinda like going in to change a glow plug and not changing them all. You are there, all the work to get there is done, might as well do it so you don't have to repeat the work in the near future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was always told the 7.3's rear mains do not usually leak. 99% of the time the leak is coming from somewhere else, and appears to be a rear main. This happend to me. I wouldn't change it.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I was always told the 7.3's rear mains do not usually leak. 99% of the time the leak is coming from somewhere else, and appears to be a rear main. This happend to me. I wouldn't change it.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
the one i jus did was leaking from where the seal mounts to the back plate. The seal was good but it leaked from the back of it thru the plate.
I would not pull a trans for the rear seal, they usally do not leak. But if its apart, changing it is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the one i jus did was leaking from where the seal mounts to the back plate. The seal was good but it leaked from the back of it thru the plate.
I would not pull a trans for the rear seal, they usally do not leak. But if its apart, changing it is not a bad idea.
Any tips or tricks? Do I need a special tool> I have done alot of mechanical stuff, from rebuilding engines and axles to building full buggies, I know my way around with a wrench, just never done a RMS on a 7.3

Is it going to be pretty self explanitory as I get in there and do it, or am I gonna look at it and go WTF?

I read somewhere about needing a special sealant?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
like 6 small 8mm bolts. Then a gasket scraper to pry it off. The new seal will have a paper gasket. The original used ford sealant. The ford stuff is real potent compared to auto parts permatex. I left the original sleeve on cause it was not screwed up. I could not get it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts