Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post. I have a 01 f350 with a 7.3. Needs a rebuild or a different engine. I found a low mileage one out of a 03/04. Was wondering if that engine from a newer year is a direct swap into my 01. Thank you for any help provided

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
If it's a 7.3. It will bolt right in. The 6.0 started at 2003.5 and will not work. You can also use a 94.5-97 7.3 but the front cover is different, so all you need to do is swap it from your original motor. So any 7.3 from 94.5-03.5 will work.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
^^^^^^^ bellowed up pipes while out of truck

Reactions: sbluke55

·
Registered
8,568 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Just curious what's wrong with the original motor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excessive blow by. I went through 7 qts of oil on a 300 mile trip hauling a 20ft gooseneck with 1 horse in it. Then a pop and oil everywhere under hood. Looked to have come from the dipstick tube due to the dipstick itself was pushed out of the tube.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
How did you test the blow by

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I definitely wouldn't write off your motor until you do a proper warm compression test. These motors have blow by under normal conditions

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well for one the oil isn't leaking. It's coming out the exhaust pipe itself. And that much oil use that fast is ridiculous. Especially with only 168k on it. Plus I don't have the time to have it sit to do a rebuild. I found an engine with only 85k for $1500 and I can swap that in and have my truck back on the road. Keep the old one and rebuild it and either me or sell it

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Sounds like you may of lost your turbo. Pull the piping of the intake to the turbo and see if you have any up and down movement. There can be a little in and out but if it's excessive it's bad. A stock turbo can be found for relatively cheap or you may be able to rebuild it for around $150.

A quick test for blow by would be start it up (after you make sure you have enough oil) flip the oil fill cap over and set it back on the full tube. If it rattles off your good, if it blows of you do have to much blow by.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so my question is, if the turbo is bad is it better to put a upgraded turbo/aftermarket one in, or rebuild mine, or another stock one from elsewhere?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
It all really depends on your budget honestly. If you really don't have a budget I would do the 38r and be done with it.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i don't want anything super expensive, im not looking for performance really, i want a little more power then stock for towing, because its primarily being just driven no load, but occasionally hauls cattle, hay and such

·
Vendor
13,009 Posts
It may not be your turbo either. You couldve dropped an injector. They are known sometimes to get stuck open, wipe out internal orings and dump lots of oil into the cylinder.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I recommend rebuilding your current one of its still good or finding a good used one and rebuild it. Then get a billet compressor wheel from riffraff of bd.

Have you had a chance to check out the turbo and blow by yet

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Then you should buy us an Internet beer for saving you a needless motor swap

1 - 20 of 21 Posts