Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold an 01 crew cab 4x4 beast and bought something more suitable.

2001 F250 XLT 2wd, AT, Supercab, shortbed, 184k miles and stock. I’ve already hauled off my 37’ Toyhauler to a buyer with it and picked up a 23’ Toyhauler. Downsized! I didn't need the diesel to pull such a small trailer but I’m afraid I’m hooked on the 7.3, it’s price point can’t be beat 🤔

Now I’m looking to upgrade. From previous research I bought a PHP HYDRA chip which I have yet to install. Other work I’d like is:

Cold Air Intake
Turbo back exhaust
Deep Transmission pan
Maybe a hi performance turbo fan blade, pedestal etc.

Looking for efficiency and fuel economy.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Would like to change rims to 18” with maybe LT275/65/18 and looking into required offset. I think the stock offset of +6?! I have a line on some 18x8.5” rims with +10 offset...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
chip and exhaust will make you grin

"cold air" intakes are a waste of money IMO

I'd pass on the deep trans pan and change the oil every 30k and add 2 bottles of lubegard red

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chip and exhaust will make you grin

"cold air" intakes are a waste of money IMO

I'd pass on the deep trans pan and change the oil every 30k and add 2 bottles of lubegard red
Great! Thx for the recommendations! Kinda hard to believe a better air intake wouldn’t help...

·
Registered
365 Posts

275/70-18 take offs from a 2013 F350. Added 2” wheel spacers front and rear along with 2” front spring/shackle leveling kit from PMF and Bilsteins all around. Rides much better handles nicely for an old solid axle truck.
I also have CAI, PHP and 4” exhaust. Really woke the truck up. Also have deep pan as well as other trans mods. I think with all trans mods I’ve done to date they all work nicely together and I’m happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you’re on a budget, the trans pan would be last for me. I’d take those funds and start with 6.0 trans cooler and add a Dieselsite external spin on filter, then do a trans service/filter and valve body upgrade. You’ll avoid opening up the pan for a long time and have a good solid performing trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the note. Looks great! I’m keeping mine low however 🤔

what’s the CAI?

watch your wheel bearings with those Spacers. A few trucks ago I used them for about 6 months and they wore the bearing out.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Great! Thx for the recommendations! Kinda hard to believe a better air intake wouldn’t help...

The oem 7.3L would not benefit from an aftermarket intake until a bunch of money was spent on injectors, tuning, and the transmission mods needed to handle the power. Hence why its more of an engine bling for most nearly stock trucks. One big must for any 7.3l towing is replacing the stock trans cooler with a 2005-07 6.0l model and grabbing some adapters for the cooling hoses. Easily 25+ degree cooler temps and that is very nice for towing.

I also run the wicked wheel 2 turbo wheel and the 2008+ mirrors. Order the mirrors for your year/make/model and you'll see a 2008 upgrade kit. A nice improvement on the oem mirror for visibility and better overall match to the truck style for me at least. I run the ford severe duty/AIS intake but not because of engine HP performance more for dust as its main design bonus over the original intake for the 99-03 trucks. The main argument against aftermarket intakes is because the turbo. The wheel has been chewed up by many ebay and knock off intakes. Not as big an issue for naturally aspirated engine etc. You can buy a cold air intake if you really want but I would not expect much out of it. I would argue the top three in no particular order are the AIS severe duty intake from Ford, S&B intake, and the famouse 6637 diy intake. A quick google reveal them all. The 6637 is cheapest and not lower quality at all, then the ais, and the most $$ would be the AIS. You would probably like the dry filter as the oil ones can be a pita to get used too.

Personally if you have an auto and tow a lot like I do....

Wicked wheel 2 turbo wheel
6.0l transcooler
modifed valvebody from someone like John woods, BTS or Sam Wyse.
Gauges at least EGT, transtemp, and boost
PHP hydra chip with a good tow tune

That alone will make for a MUCH nicer driver experience. I run the AIS intake and a straight pipe but eventually im getting a resonator because the noise has lost some of its luster over the years lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally if you have an auto and tow a lot like I do....

Wicked wheel 2 turbo wheel
6.0l transcooler
modifed valvebody from someone like John woods, BTS or Sam Wyse.
Gauges at least EGT, transtemp, and boost
PHP hydra chip with a good tow tune
Exactly what I was looking for, dead on! Thank you very much. I will post as I progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After purchase I drove from Tucson to Mesa before I thought about checking the air filter 🤔

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
woowee! good thing is most likley nothing happened but you can pull the tube between the filter box and the turbo and look at the wheel. Also look at the little metal clips. Sometimes they bend a little and don't seal the airbox all the way. I just pulled mine off and squeezed them a tiny it and now they clip securely etc.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thx for the note. Looks great! I’m keeping mine low however 🤔

what’s the CAI?

watch your wheel bearings with those Spacers. A few trucks ago I used them for about 6 months and they wore the bearing out.
C.A.I. = COLD AIR INTAKE.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts