Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hawaii f-550 05:28 AM Yesterday

Hey new to this site. Joined because I'm in need of your guys help!!!!!!! I have an 01 f-550 with the 7.3l. 237k on the clock. 6 speed manual. The truck is a car carrier. Pcm crapped out a couple months ago, changed cps at th at time(gray from Napa). Reman pcm and truck fired right up. Used truck a few times with no issues. Problem occurred while driving home on the highway one day and the truck dropped some cylinders. Idk how many. Could barely pull 15mph. Limped up the shoulder for a couple miles and finally reached the top of incline and rolled down and truck seemed to clear out. Made it to a buddy's shop and pulled driver valve cover. Connection seemed OK...contact cleaned and dielectric greased large plug harness(42pin??), and the uvch in and out. Drove home with no issues.. did one more tow about 30 miles or so no issues. Last time I used the truck miss fire and no power occurred after 10-15 miles of driving. Soooo I changed uvch and gasket on both sides with OEM parts and 50 cent trick. Problem still exists. Truck will start and idle fine. But as soon as it reaches operating temperature it starts missfiring and blowing white smoke, maybe kinda gray. Idles horribly no power, miss fire and white smoke and hard to rev past 2000..... if I turn the truck off and let it sit for a while the truck will start fine and idle till i start driving and get to operating temp. Hardly any blow by at idle. Fuel pressure is at 65 PS I at idle and under rev while its running good haven't checked it at WOT under load yet didn't know. No cel when problem begins. Passed buzz test while cold no dtcs. Sounded good and even. Next idle and warm up to operating temp. Cct passed. No codes. Next koer self test and I get p0476. Idk. What's going on. Can anyone point me in some kind of direction. So frustrated. Oil change rotella and motor craft filter less than 500 miles. Same with fuel filter. Drained bowl and fuel seems to look OK.....PLease help. I can try answer anything relevant to the best of my knowledge..thanks in advance!!!!!! Will try post a did of how it is when running bad. Sorry video!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not too sure recently purchased truck back in February. Can anyone tell me if I'm even going in the right direction with this????? Or what my next step of action should be. Any other enthusiasts in hawaii(Oahu)????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK so no cel ever. ......this is what baffles me. Doesn't the computer know its running terribly???? Next is icp and IPR. First start at idle 664 RPM 5 75 ICP 13℅ IPR. / 1500 rpm 700ICP 14% I PR. / 1841 RPM. 1000ICP 18%IPR. / 2400 RPM. 1400PSI. 22% IPR. I mright have access to the snap on scanner again. Seems like and older one. But it did a buzz test and cct. Cct didn't show any info. Just did test and said passed. Not lossing any coolant... oh yeah the icp and I PR readings were not while driving just in neutral and some rev.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
ya man, what you said in the video. Pull the vc's, and start unplugging 1 injector at a time ,and see what injector, DIDNT change the pitch/throttle response....also, before unplugging each, while trucks' idling, look at injectors for oil spitting.

·
WNY Biodiesel Co-op
915 Posts
What Timmyboy said , you have at least 1 bad injector .Locate it and I would look into a new set of injectors . With 237K your due.. You need to have a reliable truck in your line of work , so to replace just the one or 2 , you would be asking for trouble down the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If there is an injector bad, does anyone know what is wrong with the injector itself???
Is the cylinder contribution the same as power balance???
I can try and get a old of the snap on scanner again. Its old nothing fancy.
What should I be monitoring PIDS wise??
any input??? Common guys I'm baffled!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 00 550. So far the shop it is in had changed a lot of censors under the hood. put a new pickup in the tank. Cleaned the tank.Changed the hpop. Replaced 2 injectors (number 8 and 3). Replaced all injector o rings. Replaced fuel filter etc.Ran every computer test engine test balance etc. All with no luck. What they have found out today is that the fuel pressure once under a load will drop to almost nothing but when cold at idle it is fine. They hooked up a aux fuel tank to bypass the fuel tank and that seemed to work according to them.

If you happen to get yours fixed soon PLEASE update with solution. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will get a fuel pressure guage on asap. Been super rainy haven't had chance to get on it yet. The load test is crucial and I need to get that checked. Hopefully we are getting close. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 00 550. So far the shop it is in had changed a lot of censors under the hood. put a new pickup in the tank. Cleaned the tank.Changed the hpop. Replaced 2 injectors (number 8 and 3). Replaced all injector o rings. Replaced fuel filter etc.Ran every computer test engine test balance etc. All with no luck. What they have found out today is that the fuel pressure once under a load will drop to almost nothing but when cold at idle it is fine. They hooked up a aux fuel tank to bypass the fuel tank and that seemed to work according to them.

If you happen to get yours fixed soon PLEASE update with solution. Thanks
get your truck, outa there, man.

Get a $38.00 pump and be done. Also, do the HUTCH mod. May want to rebuild the fuelbowl and/or have a look at the FPR spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Timmyboy What $38 pump are you referring to. Like a inline fuel pump? Sorry for hijacking the thread. Thanks a lot though this has been a ordeal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I just performed the fuel pressure test under load. Took a few minutes, couple rounds of the block and the fuel pressure was dropping to 0¡!!!!!. I CANNOT STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF FUEL PRESSURE TEST UNDER LOAD!!!!!!TEST FOR A WHILE OR UNTIL THE PROBLEM REOCCURS!!!! I DID NOT GO UNTIL FAILING POINT BECAUSE THE FUEL PRESSURE WAS ALREADY TERRIBLY LOW. I WILL POST BACK WITH MORE RESULTS AFTER I ADRESS THE FUEL SYSTEM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hawaii f-550. I will be getting mine from the shop in the am and they could not find a solution. I am going to order the tank mods like suggested and see if that takes care of it. I am unclear of what $38 dollar pump that was talked about further up the thread. Do you have any info on it? I will let you know if the tank mods worked on mine when done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey sorry guys I been sooo busy..... OK so the latest test I performed was fuel pressure. I put guage on and everything seemed good. Until!!!!!!! The fuel pressure would slowly drop until wen at WOT pull it would go all the way down to 0.!!!!!! So I sent my bed back and pulled sending unit. Pickup screen was completely clogged with coffee ground size rust along with the mixing chamber.. the two pick up screens were clean though...... small mountain of gravel, rust, and **** underneath pickup foot. Cleaned everhing and drained tank best I could put it back together. Went for a decent test drive around the block and problem did not occur...guage wasn't hooked up (rented guage from orielly.)...
Parked the truck and am piecing hutch mod together at the moment. So far got 3/8 and 5/16 compression fittings and 1 foot 3/8 ss tubbe. Bout $15 so far. Can't find 5/16 ss that's 3ft long.....picking up Napa 4770 base and 3405 filter and Carter p4070 tomorrow morning for $139 plus tax. Also glow shift 100psi FP guage and single pod shipped to HI f or $97.35. Just gotta get the 3/8 fuel line, barb fittings for filter base, hose clamps, and 5/16 line 3 ft. Il try post pics but I'm getting kicked out on Feb 1 so my landlord is all weary......

ALSO!!!!! THINKING ABOUT EDGE EVOLUTION CTS WITH EGT PROBE. AND 4IN STRAIGHT PIPE. WITH NAPA 6637 FILTER MOD!!! INPUT ANYONE????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts