Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 01 excursion with the 7.3l in it. It got the edge CS tuner. Anyways the issue I'm having is cruising down the highway around 75-80mph egt's are between 700-900. When I'm pushing a hill it'll shoot up to around 1150-1300 which seem pretty high. The egt sensor has been ported into the driverside exhaust right as it 90's under the engine, not in the turbo where it should have been. The question is is this a normal temp for the sensor being in that place or is it to high still.

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,771 Posts
Seems a little high. What tune level are you running? Do you have any supporting mods?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm only running on 2 which would be tow mode, the only other thing was an afe cold air intake but I switched it out back to the original air box because the turbo would start to whistle really high and start to chirp. All this only happens while starting to push up a hill it seems like.

·
Registered
98 Posts
High EGT's can be a flow problem. Have you checked for leaks on the pressure side of the turbo?

As for the chirping and whine on the turbo it is always there. Higher flow and open element air filters do not muffle the sound as well as the stock air box. I personally run a Donaldson Blue 6637 and I can hear it sucking the air if I am heavy on the power and it will bark if you keep your foot in it. Best way to avoid the bark is not to be heavy on the foot especially in the shift points. Also some after market turbos have been engineered to avoid the back swish and barking you hear.

That said check for air leaks.

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,771 Posts
An aftermarket air box will be noticeably louder than the stock box. Hence the more air flow. The AFE box is one of the better ones. But on a light tune with no load and just an air filter, your turbo shouldn't be chirping at a constant 75mph. On and off the throttle constantly I can see chirping with no supporting mods. Regardless, I would suspect you have a turbo leak or its on its way out and the tune will make it run its course faster.

How many miles on the turbo? Original from factory? etc

To run a tune and not have to worry with a clear head about egt's. At minimum you should have a 4"+ exhaust, intake and supporting internal turbo mods. There is also some additional things you can do that are cost efficient that will lower numbers but only worth it with the other things first.

I run a S&B intake, KC300x, EBPV delete, 4" straight pipe, AIH delete, light-medium hydra tune and never look at my egt's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's looking to me like the turbo and exhaust are both factory. I wonder if maybe putting an updated exhaust will fix the problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts