Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting from my phone so I did not search... :doh: sorry. Coworker has an 01 7.3 automatic and said this morning when he tried to start it, the starter would crank two or three times normally (sounded fine, full voltage and all) then a loud clunk and the starter would just quit like it is binding up.

Release the key and try again and same thing two or three cranks and clunk, nothing. He said he checked the battery connections and they were tight but he did not have a chance to crawl under and checkthe starter connections.

I told him the starter may be failing but wasn't sure. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Thanks for your help guys! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry. The truck is a six speed manual! :tard:

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Sounds like the starter is disengaging prematurely. I would order a DB starter for that bad boy. I would also check the voltage going to the starter when this happens. If the voltage drops off it isn't the starter and may just be a bad relay. This will take two people to do.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hornet!!!! Semi dumb question, what is a DB starter? And to rest the voltage while cranking, are you talking about at the starter solenoid? And one more as I haven't worked on a 7.3 in a while, does the 01 have a fender mounted solenoid? Sorry to the dumb questions but I don't have the truck in frog of me and I am trying to explain it to someone! :thumb:

·
Registered
822 Posts
yeah id check the connections at the starte i know mine came lose and the starter on fire from trying to crank it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts