Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001. 7.3 with 185k. New starter and gpr last fall. As well as new battery cables. Batteries were new in August 2008. Glow plugs ohmed fine last fall but i have not checked then this fall. Orginal plugs and injectors

Over the last 3 years it has seemed that cold weather starting hastily been taking a bit longer each year with it blowing more blueish white smoke on cold starts. Cold weather i mean 0-40 degrees with it not plugged in.

If i did not go ice fishing in the winter none of this would be a issue becused plugged in it starts fine.

Another thing i have knowticed is when it first starts in the colder weather the acceleeatir pedal will not effect the idle unless u push it nearly to the floor or it has ran a minute or so till it clears up.

If it is in the single digits and i Start it up and load my fishing gear up it will choke you out of the area and make your eyes water like someone installed and garden hose in them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
2001. 7.3 with 185k. New starter and gpr last fall. As well as new battery cables. Batteries were new in August 2008. Glow plugs ohmed fine last fall but i have not checked then this fall. Orginal plugs and injectors

Over the last 3 years it has seemed that cold weather starting hastily been taking a bit longer each year with it blowing more blueish white smoke on cold starts. Cold weather i mean 0-40 degrees with it not plugged in.
I have the same as do many others. My thinking is with age your injectors are dumping too much fuel when cold. It doesn't take much. We've debated this on other forums and I always lean towards Injectors in this scenario given that GP's are working, Batts charged, etc..

·
Registered
311 Posts
ive got an 05 and the first time i get frost on the windows, i plug her in with a timer.

bailey

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
change to 5w-40 synthetic...Rotella T6, Mobil ! 5w-40..etc.

The "pedel not doing anything" is because your EBPV is closed, giving a high idle to motor, and try'n to getthe motor up to temp....perfectly normal.

Switch to synthetic and report back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EBPV was removed about 120kthe ago.

I would plug it in as well but when ice fishing at the lake there is no power plugs. It is normally plugged in at home and at work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts