Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were headed out camping and I could tell the truck was struggling to get uphill but I didn't think much of it, but after a short stop I could feel a tapping under my left foot, about a mile later in slow moving traffic it just died. I was able to limp it to the shoulder but now all it does is crank, it will not start. I am guessing the tapping was the fuel pump, you can feel it run in the on position, so I am not real sure what is up...some sort of fuel delivery issue is my thought, but I'd sure like to hear some others. It's an 01 ex 7.3 with a6 position pc chip.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cycling the key a few times/ cranking? (open the drain level to check)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (are you close to empty?)

I don't think a pump could cause a tapping under your foot though....

When's the last time you did a filter change?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did the filter change, the bowl has fuel in it and refills when emptied. It may also be worth mentioning that the exhaust gas temps were running in the 9-1200 range and it was taking some serious effort to get them down.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key?

Tach Movement? - does the tach needle move up slightly when cranking? (on an '01 this test only works if you DO NOT have a trans temp gauge in the cluster)

Do you have a spare CPS to try?

You could try disconnecing the plug on the ICP sensor to set the IPR into a limp mode.

Did you check the plug and sheet metal nut going to the IPR? Try "rapping" on the IPR with a screwdriver handle, sometimes if stuck, you can "free it up"

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of the lights are as they were before the breakdown..turn the key to the on position get the WTs and once it's out I crank. I do have a trans guage so that test is a no go...do not have a cps..could you tell me how to locate the ipr? And are there any usual suspects in the fuse block I should start with?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
If you were running up to 1200* just in slow traffic I think it's related. Could be fuel. Fuel pump is more under the seat more than your feet. Foot feeling is more the motor to me. Or HPO since it was struggling up a hill then tapping like it wasn't firing right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here is a question..with the chip should I be running a beefier fuel pump to deal with the hp jumps? Would that wear out a stock pump more quickly? The guy who owned the truck before me told me he always drove it on the +75 setting

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
So here is a question..with the chip should I be running a beefier fuel pump to deal with the hp jumps? Would that wear out a stock pump more quickly? The guy who owned the truck before me told me he always drove it on the +75 setting

Unless the pump was already weak, a chip shouldn't effect it. Bigger injectors will, tho.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
But, at this point, you're talking about a No Start.

Poor fuel delivery wouldn't cause that, it would take No fuel delivery.

Since you describe the bowl refilling OK, it should at least start now. Something else is wrong....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did not pull the chip, all of the fuses check out and even with the icp unplugged it was a no go..I unplugged the ipr and noticed it was coated in oil...so I have finally exhausted everything I am willing to take on and I dropped it with my mechanic. Based on everything I told him (and you all). He seemed pretty sure it was injector or injector o ring related..I should know more later today and I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And the winner is......Injector Driver Module and a icp sensor harness...mech believes this will be the fix all but once its running wants to check the injectors too to be sure we are a-ok

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And today, died again...started back up but the RPMs jumped around for a bit and it acted like it wanted to die...took it back to the shop they think its a bad CPS but were going to dig deeper.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi macsdaddy

Any more news on the problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kramer, I moved all of this over to engine 911, there has been a whole slew of things, and I am not sure yet iof they are all straightened out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts