Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to leave yesterday and it took cycling the WTS light 3 times. I tried to crank it once (first thing in the morning, hadn't moved since Friday) and it wouldn't start. Turned the key off, tried again, wouldn't start. I cycled the WTS a third time and it fired right up. I was a bit cautious as to whether it was a battery or not so I decided to take my other truck. It was about 58 degrees yesterday morning when I tried to crank it. I was out all day so the truck didn't move anywhere.

This morning I walked outside and noticed a decent sized puddle under my truck. I got underneath it and it smells like diesel. I put a small tub under it to catch the leak and sure enough it is diesel. I took the dust cover off and it is damp on the back side of the block on both sides (driver and passenger) but i'm not seeing where a leak is coming from. I have read the o-rings on the fuel bowl/filter go bad. There is debris in the valley but it isn't saturated in diesel and there doesn't appear to be any leaks coming from the filter area.

When I shine my flashlight towards the back of the valley I can see what looks like diesel under the turbo pedestal. What would be leaking for diesel to "pool" under the pedestal at the back of the engine? The leak is very very slow, there are a few drops in the tub that's been under there for about 9 hours now.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I added the little bit about yesterday because I didn't know if there was any relation between the two issues or not. It cranked right up this morning.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
There are a number of sealing points on the fuel bowl. Check them all, wipe everything down, and fire up the engine. Give it a going over with a flashlight to see if you can find the seepage.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess it would have helped if I had mentioned my driveway slopes and I back the truck in huh? I'm guessing the fuel bowl is the only place fuel could leak into the valley?

·
Premium Member
8,681 Posts
First thing,,, STOP wasting your time "cycling" the WTS :wink[3]: Just because the light went Off does not mean the Glow Plugs have. They are not connected in any way (on a cold start they're on for approximately 1 min.)

Next, ya gotta get up there, clean stuff off with some spray and look carefully at the yellow, plastic, Drain assembly. Start the engine and using a good, strong, flashlight go over everything. Then around the hardlines that are attached to the fuel bowl. Sometimes the clips that attach those hardlines to the heads (RR & LF) chafe through.

The bigger the leak the easier it is to find! :D

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You ain't lyin', I wish it was a bigger leak so I could find it already. I cleaned everything off and took it for a drive. I can't feel any leaks around the drain assembly and the debris in the valley still isn't wet. I crawled under the truck and noticed there is fuel on the bell housing on the passenger side right under the starter. I'm guessing it's that RR hardline that you're talking about?

·
Premium Member
8,681 Posts
There's a metal clip (with a very thin plastic coating) at the back of the head holding it. It's not uncommon for those to get cut there and, with a light, you should be able to determine it yours is leaking from it...

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went out and checked out that RR line you mentioned and it's damp so i'm assuming my leak is that line. Is that line a dealer only part or can I buy it anywhere? Anything else I should replace while i'm doing that line?

·
Premium Member
8,681 Posts
The "pre-bent" piece of hard tubing? Yea, I think it's going to be an expensive Ford Only item, not positive,, you could check around...

You should put a better insulator in the clip or it will happen again. There's another one like it (for some reason less likely to leak though) on the LF head that you could open up and slip a strip of rubber in too.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fuel line was $60 from Ford. Turns out the line had rusted...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts