Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This comming sat im going to look at an 01 7.3 cc/sb and was wondering if theres anything to check for.
As for what i know about the truck it has a tow tune, intake, helper airbags in the rear.
I plan on modding the truck over then next year or so depending how much OT i can get. I know that in 01 ford switched from forged rods to PMR's is there a certian date they switched to know or will i have to wait and pull the inspection plug to find out?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Watch Bill Hewits video on PowerStrokehelp.com. He says there is not that much difference between PMR and forged. Both do fine.

However, my 2000 has the forged....:haha:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if it has PMR's its not that big of a deal im not going huge power. id like to be between 375 and 400hp and to what ive read PMR's will hold up to that. I just want a DD that i can take to the county fair and pull sled with if i want

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i talked to the guy on the phone last night and he said that the trans. has a stroger torque converter and a different valve body. The exhaust is 3.5" to a 10 inch stack. i assume thats stock exhaust size. The tow tune is 60hp but didnt say whos its by. And he has service record from mile 1 to current 180,000.

So my question to all of you is with the exhaust can I just go to (blank) parts store and but 3.5" exhaust pipe and run it out the back or should i put a muffler in?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want a 4" but i gonna save some money and do a complete turbo back. For now i just want a cheap solution cause personally I cant stand the look of stacks.

Sent from my ADR6325 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at the truck today and it has little chatter in the drive shaft seem like rear u-joints maybe. The front diff has a minor leak

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont think either or those are a big deal. It has an edge 60hp programmer that when you get hard in the throttle the check engine light comes on owner said its EGT sensor. Should i be worried about that?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
No such thing as an egt sensor. Probably the P1211 code or whatever it is for the hpop. Ditch that thing if you get the truck and get custom tunes.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
EGT sensor :hehe:

Alarm bells are ringing dude. I would be mighty nervous buying a truck with a cheap cookie cutter tuner, notorious for running hot and also destroying transmissions, from a guy that says something like that. Odds are he had no idea how to drive his truck safely tuned like that.

Do you know what you should be feeling from the trans during a test drive? Are you familiar with blow by and how to check for it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its deff the u-joints you can fell that there geting bad laying under the truck and checking the drive shaft. The tranny was rebuilt in march of this year with receipts from the shop and is under warrentee till march of 2014. I know the edge is junk i gonna get rid of it if i get the truck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i know there no such thing a EGT sensor just saying what he said. the light only came on during WOT but it stays on untill you shut the truck off the when you start it the lights off. I plan on ditching the programmer but this truck is budgeted by my overtime(deal with the wife). I know first thing im gonna get is gauges but idk if i should get ISSPRO or if the BD-Power X moniter will work. and as for tunes ill be duing alot of research right now im thinking PHP FU2 but i beans and DP tuner seem to have really good tunes too.
But for what hes asking for a cc/sb and everything hes done to it in the last year with receipts to prove it it seems like a good deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts