Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '00 Ex is in need of some upgrades. I'm looking for my first lift and I want to go around 6"-8" so I can fit 37" tires which will be mounted on HUMVEE wheels from Trail Worthy Fab. The reason, before anyone asks, is that I can get a complete set of 5 wheels and tires that have had the old centers cut out and new 8x170 centers welded in for around $1500. Stock size Michelins were around $250 each last time I priced them and I'll be able to get a complete set of 4 military take-off tires for around $400 and I can change them myself since the wheels are 2 piece.

I have several questions though:
1. What backspacing should I order on my new wheels?
2. I've heard that a stock 4x4 Ex will run 35"s with minor bumper trimming. That being said, can I fit 37"s and a 6" lift without trimming or will I need to go 8"? I've even seen 5" and 7" kits... Would either of those work?
3. I eventually want to get a full system from One Up Offroad, but I'm not willing to spend $8,000+ on a suspension system right now, so what can I get for $1500-$2000 that is decent quality?
4. I know that Excursions have slightly different suspensions than SD pickups, hence the availability of Excursion leveling kits, but can I use a regular SD lift on my Ex or will the front end still be lower?
5. My final question is about exhaust. I want to put a 4" downpipe and a 5" system on. I've heard that like suspensions, the exhaust on the Ex is different from any of the pickup setups and lengths. So, do I definitely need a specific Ex system or can I use one designed for a pickup?

If anyone has any experience with the HUMVEE wheels on an Excursion or even a pickup, I'd love to hear the advice and see pics of your rig along with specs on your lift and wheel backspacing. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think that would look good. Be cool to see how it turns out you'll have to post pics when you get this done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been wanting to do this for a long time now, but only recently had the budget. Besides, I need new tires. :) Anyway, this guy is running the same wheels and tires I want on 8" lift but I don't think the combo looks right. They're too tucked up under the truck and they look too small for the amount of lift. It's not bad, but I don't think it's amazing either... I might want different backspacing.

Lets see all of your lifted Excursions - Page 21 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yeah they are tucked under a ways. I guess them tires just look bigger when they're on a hummer. Doesn't seem that skinny on my dad's company hummer. I think it would probably look good with a 6" lift though long as they don't rub.

·
Registered
856 Posts
2. I've heard that a stock 4x4 Ex will run 35"s with minor bumper trimming. That being said, can I fit 37"s and a 6" lift without trimming or will I need to go 8"? I've even seen 5" and 7" kits... Would either of those work?
3. I eventually want to get a full system from One Up Offroad, but I'm not willing to spend $8,000+ on a suspension system right now, so what can I get for $1500-$2000 that is decent quality?
4. I know that Excursions have slightly different suspensions than SD pickups, hence the availability of Excursion leveling kits, but can I use a regular SD lift on my Ex or will the front end still be lower?
5. My final question is about exhaust. I want to put a 4" downpipe and a 5" system on. I've heard that like suspensions, the exhaust on the Ex is different from any of the pickup setups and lengths. So, do I definitely need a specific Ex system or can I use one designed for a pickup?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
I only have input on a couple of your questions, hopefully somebody else will chime in and help with the rest.

2:8" kit will fit 37s no trimming. Or 6" with correct offset and only minor trimming.
3:You can get a decent kit for 2 - 3k, just depends on what you are really looking for.
4: I don't know the exact difference in the kits, but I will say this, I took my 8" kit off my f250 and put it on my excursion. The issue I had was the rear not the front. The rear of the excursion is so heavy, it sits too low in the back.
5: Exhaust is only tricky at the rear. 5" hits between the fuel tank and the rear shock. From what I hear, the 4" is close. But 5" will not fit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@BigKid: Thanks! I guess I'm looking for a specific Excursion lift, then. Also, my stock exhaust is currently chopped off midway up the truck and exits somewhere between the front passenger's butt and the rear passenger's feet, so I suppose I could hack up a 5" if I really wanted to, but I might just go for a 4" so i don't have to deal with the headache. Besides, I don't currently have a tip sticking out the side and that looks weird LOL! Also, do you know what the "correct" backspacing is?

@Raul: I could do that, but I really like the look and the idea of the HUMVEE wheels. Plus, I can change tires myself that way and they don't cost too much more than a set of cheapo steelies in the long run. Basically, I like them and they're within my budget. Unfortunately, like I said earlier, the $8K suspension is not!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just took off a set of the Goodyear MT military OZ tires and let me tell you I will never run them again. Yes they are cheap but ride like ****! I did not realize just how bad they were till I just put a set of TOYO Open Country MT's on!!! Just my two cents but go ahead and spend the money and get some good tires!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Check craigslist for lifts, I picked up my lift with rims for $1000. If you are still looking I have my old 16.5 wheels with tires I am looking to sell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts