Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
00 7.3 crew 4x4 srw oil issue - not the oil pan - two tubes

I searched & read - I'm having the oil leaking issue I don't ever hear talk of all these test you guys do from the dealer. I'm gonna inspect it alot closer. So the motor has to come out for the oil pan change. Assuming I do that what else should I be doing so it wouldn't have to come out again? new oil pan since they rot? I have 104,000 mile on the truck.Just when I was gonna add a 60 horsepower chip & the 4" pipe the oil starts dripping & the dealer could care less. I pull a toyhauler & have an auto trans. Money is an issue. my friends buddy has a shop but I have no idea of his abilities or what the shop is (body or engine repair) It sounds good if he could help me out but I don't want my truck in pieces w/ no idea how to put it back toghter either. I'm a carpenter & need my truck every day for work. On a side note my mileage sucks to. the tires pressure, fuel filter , oil , the trans & the diff are check /changed regularly. I hate oil dripping so I have a rag zipped tied to the tierod for now to keep it off my driveway. Thanx for reading so what do you think?

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
I thik you need to start a different thread for each question you need answered. That way this won't go in a thousand different directions, and you can get each issue looked at idividually. Start also by filling out your signature with your trucks info, and possibly your location. This will help us help you.

As afr as the oil pan, the motor does have to be pulled to replace the pan. It sounds like you are not too sure of your own, or your buddies ability to do this...I would have the dealer do it if this is the case.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
fix psd

first I would find out where the leak is at? it could be,a O-ring off hpop or rail.or the hpop gasket could be leaking.cause it leaks down the hole in the back of valley.and goes down trans and you realy cant tell whats leaking.or you could be leaking by the dip stick or large looking bolt were the dip stick is sticking into.have you tryed tightening the oil pan bolts? I had my pan dripping one or two drops so i put a jack under pan and just pushed it up alittle and tighen it. I think 20 lb per sq in.please check that.look in valley for oil.it took me three months to find all my oil leaks.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
^ He is absolutly right about tracking down that oil leak. I think we have all dealt with that at one time or another. Mine was the HPOP lines leaking.
For some reason I just assumed that you knew where the oil was leaking from since it said "I searched and read." Definitly try to find the source before you pull the motor.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
fix psd

I had two leaks.right under high presure line at hpop and could not see it.but that valley had oil in it.so three months chasing that oil leak down.but I got it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll re check the oil leak. Its in front on the oil pan driping onto the tierod. I'm learning as I go. Just reading the posts of the past on this site. If I did pull the motor ,whatelse should I be repalcing while its out.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
fix psd

well if your going to pull it .its a good time to re tightin everthing.theres a gasket on the pick up tube change that.and retightin to stoch standers.main rearings,pick up tube,exhaust manifold,change donuts on up pipes,and steam clean motor and motor bay.your going to need two tubes of gray wack from ford .may want to change motor mounts?theres some bolts thats on the cross member thats on the frame tightin them.good time to put in a triple disc converter.if your doing any mods do it now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea thanx. Thought the 60 hp chip & the 4" exhuast would be all I'd do. Not going over board just looking for that extra power on the trailer pulling & not gonna mess w/ setting a chip. Put it in & its done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
heres a picture for anyone who can help identify. I took a bunch so you could see what the motor looks like. It is probably something different than the pan. The pictures tell the story. Still not sure what would need to be done. Also in my 1st post I mentioned that I put a rag on the tierods to keep the oil from getting to the ground, but my truck hasn't been drivin but a few miles in the past 3 days & when I was taking my pictures there was no oil on the rag. Whats up? I got alot of spots on my driveway from when it was being run daily.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another picture

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another try w/ the pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
last one for tonite - next time I'll have them all set up before I start posting

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know of two 2000 that had oil pans that failed.He was an excavating contractor and
it's a very expensive repair .If memory serves me I think he told me it was around $1600
each time he had it done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think its not the oil pan now. I'm seeing that the fuel system & the oil work with one another after continueing to read about other members posts. Maybe my problem is w/ the hpop (high pressure oil pump) lines. looking for some help on that.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
FIX PSD

THAT PIC THAT YOU SHOWED ME.DRIVERS SIDE GROUND BOLT.LOOK REAL CLOSE TO IT.THERE IS A PLUG RIGHT THERE.AND IT COULD BE LOOSE?THE OIL PAN BOLTS ARE 10 MM TRY TIGHTIN THEM.BUT I DONT THINK SO ,CAUSE OIL DONT SPRAY UP UNLESS THERE IS ALOT OF PRESURE THERE.DID YOU LOOK IN THE VALLEY? IS IT DRY? DONT WORRY WE WILL FIND THIS LEAK.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
havin 104 K miles there will be oil resadue around the area. There is no oil puddle in the valley but I do see that its damp a little but not leaking out like drip drip. I'm going on a trip w/ my enclosed trailer for a few days. I'll check back soon. Danx bra.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
FIX PSD

HAVE YOU CHECKED THE OIL COOLER.THEY LEAK TOO.BRING OIL WITH YOU ON YOUR TRIP,JUST IN CASE.,THAT OIL THATS ON YOUR BOOST TUBES IS FROM YOUR BREATHER,NEED TO CLEAN IT OUT AND DO THE MOD FOR BREATHER.THAT WAY THE TURBO , BOOST TUBES AND INERCOOLER STAY CLEAN.I HOPE I WAS ALITTLE HELP.LATER DUDE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a leaker myself

I took her(00-F350)to the local shop to replace the pan seems some yo-yo used the wrong sealer when he changed out the rusty pan(previous owner)and the motor leaked like a mother*** so since the motor was out I had him check for any other leaks which he found the HPOP was, lines,head gaskets(not cheap) a bad glow plug and many other small things needless to say after $3400 :doh:my baby is better than ever and leak free but that $$ hurt.I would still not trade her for the world.:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts