295/65/20 and Load Range E Concerns / Help Needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes. Forum sponsored by: discounttire.com

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
295/65/20 and Load Range E Concerns / Help Needed

I have a 2016 F-250 4wd w/ a 1.5 level coil and Fox 2.0's that needs some rubber sizing help.

Through my search I have learned that not all load range E tires are the same (I'm an idiot.....) and noticed each tire has an independent weight rating based on specific sizing. I'm after a slightly larger, more aggressive tire to suit the needs of forest service, gravel, and unimproved double track roads. Note, I log 70k miles per year and majority of my driving is on pavement/interstate w/ approx 500-800lbs in the bed, and I rarely pull.

Currently, the truck has new BFG AT KO2s in a 295/65-20s w/ 35psi in rear and 50psi in front and she rides like an unloaded DRW w/ 80psi outback (no offense DRW guys...). When the truck takes square edge hits, washboards, or slow speed bumps I feel the jarring effect out back, so much that if you're having a conversation, you can feel the effect reverberate in your voice.

I understand the 295/65-20 size has a 4080lbs rating vs what I was previously running @ 3750lb in a Michelin LTX AT2.

If I downsize to a 285/65-20, BFG AT KO2, the load rating is 3860lbs., a difference of 220lbs. Will this make enough difference to increase ride quality and take away the slow speed "jarring" I'm experiencing?

Last, I'm not afraid to upgrade the suspension to assist w/ ride quality and performance. I have ordered a set of Fox 2.0's from Carli that are tuned for F-250 platform and plan to swap these in place of my current Fox tuned 2.0's. Additionally, it's not out of the question to install the Carli 2.5 level coils and possibly the Deaver full spring pack outback if it's worth it from a ride quality perspective.

Thanks for the input in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	727623  

2016 F250 Lariat 6.7 CC SB SRW FX4
EZ Lynk w/ GDP
MPD Intake Piping
MPD CCV Reroute
NoLimit Fab weight loss diet
5" FloPro>Donaldson resonator>Donaldson muffler
Fox 2.0 IFP's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,139 Times in 2,047 Posts
Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
@Discount Tire

You cannot beat the quality of Carli components.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #3 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
@Discount Tire

You cannot beat the quality of Carli components.
Thanks.

Also, big thanks to @Discount Tire
I have purchased one set from them and will purchase another set from them in shortly. They've been nothing but awesome.
Discount Tire and Heavy_GD like this.

EZ Lynk w/ GDP
MPD Intake Piping
MPD CCV Reroute
Fox 2.0 IFP's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BMLS For This Useful Post:
Discount Tire (01-27-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,139 Times in 2,047 Posts
Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was tagging them to this thread, they are usually a wealth of knowledge.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #5 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 01:52 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Spend the money on new wheels and tires in the 18" range. MUCH better ride and will have the 4k+ load rating.

Not to mention the Carli kits are clearly giving the same recommendations as that's what's going to ride best with their components/lifts.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #6 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Spend the money on new wheels and tires in the 18" range. MUCH better ride and will have the 4k+ load rating.

Not to mention the Carli kits are clearly giving the same recommendations as that's what's going to ride best with their components/lifts.
You’re spot on. Who’s got some OEM 18”s? read: 2020 Tremor wheels......?

EZ Lynk w/ GDP
MPD Intake Piping
MPD CCV Reroute
Fox 2.0 IFP's
post #7 of 11 Old 01-28-2020, 05:12 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Personally spend that money on some Methods if they have a pattern you would enjoy.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #8 of 11 Old 01-28-2020, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLS View Post
I have a 2016 F-250 4wd w/ a 1.5 level coil and Fox 2.0's that needs some rubber sizing help.

Through my search I have learned that not all load range E tires are the same (I'm an idiot.....) and noticed each tire has an independent weight rating based on specific sizing. I'm after a slightly larger, more aggressive tire to suit the needs of forest service, gravel, and unimproved double track roads. Note, I log 70k miles per year and majority of my driving is on pavement/interstate w/ approx 500-800lbs in the bed, and I rarely pull.

Currently, the truck has new BFG AT KO2s in a 295/65-20s w/ 35psi in rear and 50psi in front and she rides like an unloaded DRW w/ 80psi outback (no offense DRW guys...). When the truck takes square edge hits, washboards, or slow speed bumps I feel the jarring effect out back, so much that if you're having a conversation, you can feel the effect reverberate in your voice.

I understand the 295/65-20 size has a 4080lbs rating vs what I was previously running @ 3750lb in a Michelin LTX AT2.

If I downsize to a 285/65-20, BFG AT KO2, the load rating is 3860lbs., a difference of 220lbs. Will this make enough difference to increase ride quality and take away the slow speed "jarring" I'm experiencing?

Last, I'm not afraid to upgrade the suspension to assist w/ ride quality and performance. I have ordered a set of Fox 2.0's from Carli that are tuned for F-250 platform and plan to swap these in place of my current Fox tuned 2.0's. Additionally, it's not out of the question to install the Carli 2.5 level coils and possibly the Deaver full spring pack outback if it's worth it from a ride quality perspective.

Thanks for the input in advance!

BMLS-

Generally speaking the best way to increase the ride quality is to increase the sidewall height, however there is a trade off, the taller the sidewall the less steering response you will typically have.

To directly answer your question, If the end goal is to increase your ride quality dropping from a 295/65R20 to a 285/65R20 wont net you the results you are looking for.

As HeavyAssault mentioned the best way to really resolve this would be to drop down to an 18 inch wheel combo which will greatly increase your ride quality.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 Old 02-06-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Thoughts on running 17" wheels (looking at Method and Black Rhino's) w/ 37x12.50r17 BFG AT KO2s, load range D (3500lb rating...)?

EZ Lynk w/ GDP
MPD Intake Piping
MPD CCV Reroute
Fox 2.0 IFP's

Last edited by BMLS; 02-06-2020 at 06:35 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-11-2020, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLS View Post
Thanks.

Thoughts on running 17" wheels (looking at Method and Black Rhino's) w/ 37x12.50r17 BFG AT KO2s, load range D (3500lb rating...)?
Good morning!

Dropping to a 17" wheel and up to a 37" tire should absorb a lot of the bumps in the road that you were feeling before. Load capacity is good on that tire for your truck. If you can clear the 37" would be the next question, BFG shows that tire at 36.5" you would probably need to do some fender well modifications to avoid rubbing though.

If you take a tape measure and put it to your current tire and measure 1" taller and 1/2" on each sidewall bigger, do you have the room? Turning lock-lock?

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode