Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Stay away from Taskmaster tires on your trailers

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  onecrazyfoo4u 
#1 ·
Stay away from Taskmaster tires on your trailer. I have been through 2 sets of Provider ST235/80R16 tires on my 24' enclosed car trailer. The first set had 2 tires blow out and the entire set was replaced by Taskmaster. Sounds like a reputable company, right?

Just at 2 years with this new set, I now have my second failure. The first appears to be either delamination or the belts and internals are coming apart. I have a bulge on the outer sidewall the size of a softball. I have now discovered another tire having a lengthy similar spot on the outer edge of the sidewall bulging out with a flat spot in the tread. I found this by thinking my motor was running rough as it was shaking the trailer around and could be felt through the trailer hitch and connection to the truck. Now Taskmaster is accusing me of overloading my trailer. I have 7K Dexter axles, with these 3520lb each tires. I can handle 14080lbs on these tires. I am sure I am less than 11K, and made a wager with the COO of Taskmaster that she declined. She then offered me a tiny refund on the tires I can no longer trust and demanded I remove comments on FB. I declined to remove my comments, and she threatened to sue me. Now I am waiting for her move, but has ended conversations with me.

I would highly recommend staying away from these junk chinese tires !

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
so many crappy trailer tires out there I have had new one explode in the parking lot while just parked for a few days

I think they get away with 0 quality checks since it is not a passenger rated tire
as a matter of fact the best trailer tires I have had for my boat tandem trailer and my multiple light duty trailer have been P = car tires

#3 ·
Yep, any china bomb tire is just that...a ticking time bomb. I frequent a Forest River forum since we own a FR camper. There's horror stories almost daily of exploding chinese tires taking out trailers, axles, siding, brakes, etc. For any trailer purchase, the first thing to do would be to get rid of the tires for some decent non-bias ply, American made tires. You can sell the china tires...people still buy them cause their cheap and that's all they care about.

#5 ·
Here are pictures of the 2 tires, and the first tire with the softball bulge off the tire... outside and inside.

Attachments

#7 ·
It's sad that most trailer and RV companies put crappy tires on their units, we switched our 5th wheel tires over to the new Goodyear Endurance tire and have had great performance from them, they are made in the USA and have a speed rating of 86mph which most camper tire is only 65mph and we know most travel faster than the tire is rated.

#8 ·
That is exactly what I just put on my trailer.

Mike

Reactions: hansel
#9 ·
I have ran Carlisle tires (made in china) on equipment, flatbed,5th wheel, and currently a tandem utility axel trailer with good results. I typical always went with their E-rated ones just in case and have zero blow outs, tread issues, bubbles, flat spots etc. Now I will say you gotta get the right speed rates though. I got some 65mph rated tires on accident and above 65 I got some vibration but nothing to be scared about etc.

I have actually had some crazy experiences with name brand and Chinese tires lol...

I had some off brand china tires work very well on on beater car and some vibrate like crazy at 55+mph despite re-balance, rotate on wheel etc. Then I've had some Kumho tires explode after 20k miles (you'll see from many of my threads im a more ocd maintenance guy with my vehicles, equipment, and trailers etc. Tire pressure checked regularly, fluid filters, maintenance logs and the works etc.

I've seen people rant and rave their pure hatred for BFG tires yet I run them on my trucks almost exclusively lol. Same for off brand china tires lol.

It sucks not knowing if you are going to get a good tire. there is a crazy thread for a forum regular here about a crazy experience with Cooper tires in a bad way too.

#10 ·
It baffles me what camper manufacturers are allowed to put in there for axles, brakes, leaf springs, and tires. When we were shopping, every single one we looked at were way under-sized. Meaning if your camper dry weight was 6,000lb, they would size the axles and tire load ratings for just barely above that dry weight. Once you load up 1,000lb of gear and 500lb in water, even though you were under the GVWR of the trailer, you were over the tire and axle ratings. How the hell is that freaking legal? They should be mandated by law to size to a GVWR of the trailer at a minimum.

But most trailer purchasers don't even look at those numbers. Luckily we found a trailer that had already had the axle flip done, and the axles were sized to just above the GVWR. Tires were still underrated, so a new set of wheels and tires were the first thing done. Now after 4 years my leaf springs are flat, cause those are freaking under weight rated...time for bigger rated leaf springs in the spring. I wish trailer manufacturers had to go through the same safety mandates as auto manufacturers. Way too dangerous.

#14 ·
I’m assuming they figure the hitch weight into it. So if the GVWR is 16,000 lbs and the hitch weight is 2,000. You only need 2x 7,000 pound axles for 14,000 pounds. That is how my camper is.

#15 ·
I am glad you have had good results. Keep an eye on things as these tires can easily go wrong in a few miles.

BTW... I had maybe 7K miles on my first set, and right at 5K miles on this set when I had problems. The tread is in beautiful condition with no unusual wear at all. No curbing on them either. They are just junk for tires.

Mike

#13 ·
I gave up on trailer tires on my car hauler. I am right at 10,000#s. I went from 15" tires to 16" tires and run BGF Commercial LTs. I've been running them for about 10 years and gone through a few sets due to age but haven't had a failure yet.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.