Are these the right lug nuts? 20" HarleyD wheels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes. Forum sponsored by: discounttire.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-13-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are these the right lug nuts? 20" HarleyD wheels

When I bought my truck a 2005 F350 FWD it had a set of 20" ford wheels on it. I noticed when I got the truck home the front lugs were a little loose. I didn't think much about it and figured maybe the previous owner had different rims on it and before selling it he swapped out to these factory 20's.

I noticed once or twice those original rims when I'd check the lugs they were a bit loose. I chalked it up to me not tightening them enough with the 4way.

Well I found a set of 20" Harley wheels on facebook with the size tire I want to put back on the truck so I snapped them up. The wheels look identical to what I took off but the HD wheels have a bit more flair added to their design..

Well this time I made sure to tighten them with an impact gun. I just noticed the rear wheels, both of them the lugs are again loose...

I'm thinking these can't be the right lug nuts.. They seem too long for the studs, so I'm wondering if maybe these lugs are either too tall or did they use longer studs on 20" wheel trucks? I attached a picture and seems to me the lugs or the studs are not right and that's my issue.. Anyone know?

Also if you notice the rims are scared up a bit where it appears the original lugs were bigger in diameter.

Edit.. when I look on Summit Racing just to see if they have diffrent ones listed I see two styles. One is a tiny bit shorter than the other..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...vidson-edition

Lug Nut Overall Length (in):0.913 in.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...vidson-edition

Lug Nut Overall Length (in):0.890 in

Was checking on Summit because they have pictures and full specs, I don't think that's enough o matter TBH, but I dunno what the size is of mine now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_164959.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	724039   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_164945.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	724041   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_164951.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	5.28 MB
ID:	724043  

Last edited by DAV!D; 10-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-13-2019, 03:49 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Those look to be OEM lugs but those are not technically correct for the HD wheels. The ones pictured are of OEM style for other OEM wheels. They utilize a faux cover that covers the axle and snaps into the lugs to be held in place.
The HD edition lugs are longer, closed ended tall chrome style. They have a much better "apperance" over the other styles. I can't recall how but there is an HD styled axle cover that is fitted with the proper lug nuts.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyAssault For This Useful Post:
DAV!D (10-13-2019)
post #3 of 5 Old 10-13-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Those look to be OEM lugs but those are not technically correct for the HD wheels. The ones pictured are of OEM style for other OEM wheels. They utilize a faux cover that covers the axle and snaps into the lugs to be held in place.
The HD edition lugs are longer, closed ended tall chrome style. They have a much better "apperance" over the other styles. I can't recall how but there is an HD styled axle cover that is fitted with the proper lug nuts.

I'm just using the normal super duty style centers, don't have the HD ones and yeah the lugs are Ford OEM's so far as I know but I'm just uncertain is that enough stud coming through the lug? Is that the normal amount for aluminum wheels on these trucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-14-2019, 03:40 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Remove the wheel. Make sure the hub and bore are clean. Install wheel making sure it's centered and sitting flat/flush on the hub. TQ to spec.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
As long as the stud threads are extending past the lug you are getting full engagement. My only comment would be make sure you are going to the property torque specification. These lugs aren't your normal 100 lb/ft.

Tom

2014 XLT Premium CC Dually 2WD, Remote Start Added, Diesel Site Dual Filters, Rudy's Cold Air Pipe, Infotainment Radio Swap + Rear Camera Added

2002 XLT CC Dually 2WD, 6 Spd, True Workhorse that kept going.

1999 F250 Lariat CC LB SRW 2 WD, Automatic. Just didn't perform towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in