Cooper Tire Company issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 03-16-2018, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Anti-Hashtag Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cooper Tire Company issues

I bought a set of Cooper ATP Tires from Discount Tire. Good looking tread, good mileage warranty. The only issue is, apparently, the excess rubber was not trimmed off the bead on one of the tires and it caused the tire to leak down and after 30 miles (truck sat for two days during that 30 miles) the tire came off the rim. Destroyed the tire of course and scuffed up my rim. Sent pictures and investigation results from tire shop to Discount Tire. They had me a new tire out ASAP and started a claim with Cooper for the wheel for me. That was the last bit of good news. Tire AND wheel have been at Cooper for over a week and no one has even looked at it. I was told they inspect them as soon as they hit the floor and I would have a check to buy a new rim within a week IF they were at fault. Well, almost two weeks later, nothing. Called again today, nothing. They told me they would most likely look at it today, but to call again next week........SUCH BS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heavy_GD likes this.

Only two defining forces have ever died for you, one died for your soul, and the other died for your freedom. They are Jesus Christ and the American Military Service member. So, pray to God for your soul, and Thank a Veteran for the right to do so.

2007 King Ranch CC F-350 SRW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Performance Machines EGR Delete
Performance Machines Coolant Filter
Blue Spring Mod
SCT Tuner
Straight Piped
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Tunes by MPT

Mishimoto Radiatior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 03-16-2018, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Anti-Hashtag Member

Pictures..........

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Only two defining forces have ever died for you, one died for your soul, and the other died for your freedom. They are Jesus Christ and the American Military Service member. So, pray to God for your soul, and Thank a Veteran for the right to do so.

Blue Spring Mod
SCT Tuner
Straight Piped

Custom Tunes by MPT

Mishimoto Radiatior
post #3 of 64 Old 03-16-2018, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,987 Posts
Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Quoted: 3092 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Could you not see the issue when it was mounted?
@Discount Tire is always stand up, sucks about cooper.
partyman97_3 and jokester00 like this.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 03-16-2018, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Anti-Hashtag Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
Could you not see the issue when it was mounted?
@Discount Tire is always stand up, sucks about cooper.
No, it looked liked it sealed. I watch them like a hawk from front to back and the tire tech did everything right. I took a good long inspection when it was done. I imagine it took me going around a corner and taking pressure off that bead to cause it to unseal. That rubber is stiff as hell, there was no way that bead could seat properly with that much extra there.
Heavy_GD and jokester00 like this.

Blue Spring Mod
SCT Tuner
Straight Piped

Custom Tunes by MPT

Mishimoto Radiatior
post #5 of 64 Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
That is a lot of flash from the mold- that tire missed the trimmer. Undoubtedly a mfg quality issue and they should do the right thing and cover this for you. A lot of bad press for Cooper if not. Bad PR. I like their products and have had them on my vehicles for nearly 40 years.
A good example of what seems like a simple issue that could have caused injury or death.
I am also a little surprised the installer did not see this. Old school tire places have a soapy bath they always submerged the tire after mounting to see any leaks.
Beerent93 likes this.
post #6 of 64 Old 03-16-2018, 08:39 AM

Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,728 Posts
Mentioned: 662 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
IMO that flashing is not in the sealing area ( bead seat ) and should not be an issue other than asthetics

JustinOOO9 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #7 of 64 Old 03-16-2018, 08:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
It looks like there is flashing at that area also- looks very rough there. Look close. Missed the trimmer/finisher on that one.
post #8 of 64 Old 03-16-2018, 09:40 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Thanked 1,175 Times in 1,062 Posts
Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Unfortunately not an un-common occurrence, and not limited to Cooper either. When I was selling tires, I'd say that if we didn't catch it, there was probably 1/250 sets that would have a similar issue to this. Either the molding not being all the way trimmed back, or actually that stupid little barcode sticker in your 5th and 6th picture. Those are standard across almost all mfg's and leak way more often than they should.....people come in with a slow leak and it'd just be bubblin' away from the little barcode area once the tire was dunked.

One thing to think about Z, the bead heel is just as important as the seat in sealing, as the seat will have the highest amount of flex due to the construction of the tire as weight is put on it across the wheel. Also, it usually has the least amount of actual "rubber" to seal against the wheel since the thicker steel cord (or heavy duty nylon) takes up most of the bead area. The rubber is more or less a surface treatment IMO on those areas just to help the air seal and is sometimes more troublesome than it should be.

Sorry to hear yours was a total loss, I hope they get you taken care of
Kryptic_361 likes this.

2017 F250 CCLB KR "Nighthawk" Edition.....goodies to come.
post #9 of 64 Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,031 Times in 927 Posts
Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I worked for Cooper for 14 years. We did good work. Well... what I remember from it anyway. We were drunk most of the time, so it's a little fuzzy...

Kidding. I did work for Cooper but I was in the division that makes engine mounts. The tires used to be top notch. Stuck them on lots of vehicles. It does seem that the quality has diminished over time, though.

I hope that they make it right for you quickly.
ZMANN and nighthawk285 like this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #10 of 64 Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Anti-Hashtag Member

Yeah, I love the way the tires look, and the three good ones seem to ride well.....hehehe......

Blue Spring Mod
SCT Tuner
Straight Piped

Custom Tunes by MPT

Mishimoto Radiatior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode