Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Tires, and Brakes (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/wheels-tires-brakes/)
-   -   Cooper Tire Company issues (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/wheels-tires-brakes/1322546-cooper-tire-company-issues.html)

starcommtrey1 03-16-2018 06:12 AM

Cooper Tire Company issues

I bought a set of Cooper ATP Tires from Discount Tire. Good looking tread, good mileage warranty. The only issue is, apparently, the excess rubber was not trimmed off the bead on one of the tires and it caused the tire to leak down and after 30 miles (truck sat for two days during that 30 miles) the tire came off the rim. Destroyed the tire of course and scuffed up my rim. Sent pictures and investigation results from tire shop to Discount Tire. They had me a new tire out ASAP and started a claim with Cooper for the wheel for me. That was the last bit of good news. Tire AND wheel have been at Cooper for over a week and no one has even looked at it. I was told they inspect them as soon as they hit the floor and I would have a check to buy a new rim within a week IF they were at fault. Well, almost two weeks later, nothing. Called again today, nothing. They told me they would most likely look at it today, but to call again next week........SUCH BS!!!!!!!!!!!!

starcommtrey1 03-16-2018 06:18 AM

Heavy_GD 03-16-2018 06:20 AM

Could you not see the issue when it was mounted?
@Discount Tire is always stand up, sucks about cooper.

starcommtrey1 03-16-2018 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_GD (Post 15863714)
Could you not see the issue when it was mounted?
@Discount Tire is always stand up, sucks about cooper.

No, it looked liked it sealed. I watch them like a hawk from front to back and the tire tech did everything right. I took a good long inspection when it was done. I imagine it took me going around a corner and taking pressure off that bead to cause it to unseal. That rubber is stiff as hell, there was no way that bead could seat properly with that much extra there.

Mike Gs 03-16-2018 09:06 AM

That is a lot of flash from the mold- that tire missed the trimmer. Undoubtedly a mfg quality issue and they should do the right thing and cover this for you. A lot of bad press for Cooper if not. Bad PR. I like their products and have had them on my vehicles for nearly 40 years.
A good example of what seems like a simple issue that could have caused injury or death.
I am also a little surprised the installer did not see this. Old school tire places have a soapy bath they always submerged the tire after mounting to see any leaks.

ZMANN 03-16-2018 09:39 AM

IMO that flashing is not in the sealing area ( bead seat ) and should not be an issue other than asthetics

https://www.bridgestone.com/products...ructure_08.gif

Mike Gs 03-16-2018 09:48 AM

It looks like there is flashing at that area also- looks very rough there. Look close. Missed the trimmer/finisher on that one.

nighthawk285 03-16-2018 10:40 AM

Unfortunately not an un-common occurrence, and not limited to Cooper either. When I was selling tires, I'd say that if we didn't catch it, there was probably 1/250 sets that would have a similar issue to this. Either the molding not being all the way trimmed back, or actually that stupid little barcode sticker in your 5th and 6th picture. Those are standard across almost all mfg's and leak way more often than they should.....people come in with a slow leak and it'd just be bubblin' away from the little barcode area once the tire was dunked.

One thing to think about Z, the bead heel is just as important as the seat in sealing, as the seat will have the highest amount of flex due to the construction of the tire as weight is put on it across the wheel. Also, it usually has the least amount of actual "rubber" to seal against the wheel since the thicker steel cord (or heavy duty nylon) takes up most of the bead area. The rubber is more or less a surface treatment IMO on those areas just to help the air seal and is sometimes more troublesome than it should be.

Sorry to hear yours was a total loss, I hope they get you taken care of :thumb:

djmaguire 03-16-2018 11:19 AM

I worked for Cooper for 14 years. We did good work. Well... what I remember from it anyway. We were drunk most of the time, so it's a little fuzzy...

Kidding. I did work for Cooper but I was in the division that makes engine mounts. The tires used to be top notch. Stuck them on lots of vehicles. It does seem that the quality has diminished over time, though.

I hope that they make it right for you quickly.

starcommtrey1 03-16-2018 11:42 AM

Yeah, I love the way the tires look, and the three good ones seem to ride well.....hehehe......