5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 6.4 Twin Turbo DPF/EGR/DOC-Cat conv Delete

With DPF and exhaust system heat related issues with the 6.4 engines, if you had one that was stock and serviced regularly up to 100,000 miles and deleted the DPF, EGR, and catalytic converter, what would be a decent estimated engine life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Yes...

In all reality, its a crap shoot. Define regularly serviced, what tuning, what kind of use has the truck had?

Not so much a heat related issue, its an oil and quality related issue. The quality control from Ford and Navistar was lackluster at best meaning many well maintained 6.4s don't make it past 150k miles. Generally by 100k they start eating your wallet with annoying failures that lead up to even more expensive problems.

To put it simply, even with regular maintenance... Plan to crack a piston, drop a lifter, or deal with low compression at some point. Thats on top of other cab off repairs (literally everything from rocker arms, turbos, up pipes, oil cooler, etc.) that are a regular occurrence.
SparkyF250 and Rcmonksr like this.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the response. With those kinds of issues, probably best to look for another model or different truck altogether. I've heard of other folks having related engine problems with their Chevrolets also. Is Dodge the way to go for longevity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought my 2008 4x4 King Ranch 6.4 6 years ago from ebay auction for about 19,500, with 165,000 miles. My friend is a 30+ year Diesel Mechanic at Ryder. He has done all the work since (but he make me help, damn) This was my first Diesel. WOW can they pull. It came with broken up pipe, we replaced that. woops, only time to the shop with me, was to hollow out the regen canister exhaust thing and stop the regen stuff. We deleted all the crap. I never did get a "tune"(had to zip tie on a few small components to the top of the engine to keep from getting dash alerts). I read much about the engine here. We were just going thru the engine slowly. We did change the Front cover as we saw "cavitation" had removed about a dime sized piece of metal. The new one had a modification on it. Besides changing ALL the fluids, I can't think of other major things until this month with my turbo hissing...we changed it last week and the new one hisses...damn, normally i am lucky, maybe not this time. They both hiss from the arm that goes to the actuator. 2 different turbos, 2 different arms, new one came all together. anyway, just put $1100 tires, $1200 stereo and dropped about $4000 on turbo and labor.(1000 to my buddy) I try to treat him right. It was a pain with the cab on. I can only jack the cab up about 2 inches, after removing cab bolts, must be hung on something. Thinking about selling cheap or trading in...which won't get much. we only drove about 4,500 miles a year, pulling the horses to shows. 4x4 work stuff, so have to manually turn, couple door locks ignore commands. now 192,000 miles.
Rcmonksr likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good info bud thanks.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
YW, remember a 2008 stereo, the CD-GPS is pitiful and it does not know bluetooth....lol
Rcmonksr likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcmonksr View Post
Thanks for the response. With those kinds of issues, probably best to look for another model or different truck altogether. I've heard of other folks having related engine problems with their Chevrolets also. Is Dodge the way to go for longevity?
Just get a 6.7 and be done. You won't like the dodge trucks coming from a Ford
Rcmonksr likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

lol, thanks man.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 04:34 PM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
I had an early job 1 08 for a little over 6 years and put 150k miles on it. It never left me stranded or cost me any big money... However, it cost a lot to keep it maintained. And even then there are still going to be turbo failures, worn rocker arms, blown up pipes, injector issues... There are just too many things that are "regular maintenance" items on a 6.4 that pretty much require cab removal. Then there is the matter of getting good parts, 6.4s sit on the lift for a long time. Even if you go aftermarket, there just isn't much availability for replacement parts.

With all that, you still have the very common base engine failures that happen...

I loved my 6.4, it really was a great truck. I would love to have pulled and built the motor, but the fact of the matter is a 6.4 will never be "bulletproof". Doesn't matter what you do to it short of swapping it for a cummins (still not as great of an idea as people would have you believe). Nothing drives like a 6.4 and when they run well they are fantastic... But when they break (they all do) they generally break you too.

If you are in the market, skip it and get a 6.7... Its worth the price tag. Or if you are comfortable working on your own truck, a 6.0 is great if you are willing to learn the ins and outs. They can be had for dirt cheap and made VERY reliable...

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

post #10 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Have seen many 6.4 for sale so I am asking could yo do a 6.0 swap as I have heard that the 6.4 is using left over 6.0 parts? Also has anyone seen the 6.3 that is being built by a rebuilder out there using a 6.0 with a 6.4 crank? Or should you just stay away from these all together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode