How to force truck to downshift while towing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 08-23-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to force truck to downshift while towing?

So here's my situation, I have an 08 6.4l CC SB 4x4 auto 5R110W. The only modifications are the DPF-R+ 70hp tune with only the dpf/cat deleted. EGR still in place; still stock suspension and tire size. I tow an 8k lb 30ft camper trailer alot in the summer. I normally tow at 70 mpg on the highways, but do a lot of mountain passes in utah and idaho. I use the tow/haul button every time.

My problem is, when going up long, steep grade passes, my speed may bog down to 50-55mph or so, but no matter how hard I push the accelerator, it will not downshift. I don't mind slowing speed for these passes, but sometimes I've really needed to speed up to pass a semi or something and I cannot get it to downshift for the life of me. I'm getting plenty of boost when I bog down speed (almost 40psi at times), but the rpm's are just too low, 1500rpm or so. So how do you force a downshift? Do you shift down from 'drive' to '3' on the column shifter? Going down to third gear seems like it would be too drastic. What would happen if you disengaged tow/haul, would it downshift easier then?

I'm used to my old 1/2 ton gasser that would downshift with accelerator pedal force. Diesel trucks seem the opposite and just want to add more boost (which isn't enough sometimes!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-23-2019, 06:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sometimes you have to let off the throttle and then slowly mash it (if that's the proper way to explain) and almost trick the truck into a lower gear for power. My 4r100 doesn't shift differently when tow mode is engaged, just delays overdrive more so sometimes I can let off the gas just a bit on a long hill and roll into it and get the truck into a lower gear for long hills/heavy tows etc.

Something to try. Also try it without tow/haul mode. sometimes I did that with my 6.0l with the 5r100 I was able to keep it in a lower gear longer by playing with the throttle.

after that you'll need a custom tow tune etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode