Mods to tow a heavy trailer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-27-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mods to tow a heavy trailer

I've got a 2002 F350 Lariat 7.3 CC SRW w/ 210,000 miles. Engine is all stock except for the S&B cold air intake that I've already installed and the MBRP 4" XP Series Turbo-Back Exhaust System S6200409 that I haven't installed yet. I also have the Power Stop Brake kit Z36 #K1906-36 for front and rear that I haven't installed yet ether.

I tow a 5th wheel that weighs right at my max tow cap of 13,000 pounds. I should have tried to pull it before we signed the papers and bought it but I took everyone's advice that said you wont even know its back there with that truck. Well that's not true. I definitely feel it.

I was at first looking at just adding a PHP chip and the Edge Insight CS2 monitor but after reading other posts here about what they are changing to help I came up with this list:

PHP Hydra Chip
Edge Insight CS2 #84030
Edge EAS Starter Kit w/15" EGT cable #98620
BD-Power UP-Pipes #1043900
*Garrett NON-EBPV pedestal
*KC Turbo Stock Plus Trubo #300132
*CNC Fab 4-line feed fuel bowl retain kit
*CNC fab HPOP lines w/ HPX

The last 4 parts w/ * are ones I don't know if I need. I bought my truck off my brother-in-law who keeps all his vehicles in meticulous shape. The only thing I can see wrong compared to some other 7.3's is the engine is probably leaking a little oil somewhere that can be seen on the intake tubes and surrounding parts. I haven't checked yet to see where it is leaking from.

The last 2 parts don't really know if I need them or are worth the extra money. As for the turbo, I was looking first at just the KC Turbo billet wheel along with the s300 turbine wheel and adding in the 360 bearing but that's half the price of the turbo which would be all new but I don't know that I need it or that it will help that much compared to the cost of $990.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-27-2019, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Those are all good things. Definitely get a much larger transmission cooler if you have an auto. The last 4 things arent really necessary, but they will only serve to improve your truck.

If youre on a smaller budget, just get a wicked wheel for your turbo and the hydra to increase performance.

Larger injectors are the only way to gain any real deal power out of a 7.3, but there is a fine line where larger injectors will cause EGTs to get too hot while towing.

If you have the money and want to make decent power, Id go with a garret GTP38R turbo with 160/30 injectors and GOOD tuning burned on a PHP hydra chip

Also start thinking about the health of your transmission (if auto) if youre going to be pulling that load regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 03-25-2019, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Like rappy said your biggest issue will be the trans cooler. Do that first. Just get the cooler out of a 6.0 and put it in. It will bolt up. You just will need to get an adaptor for the hoses. I would go for a kc38r over the Garrett. The kc is rebuildable and a lot of people have had good luck with it. As said the only way to get good power out of the motor would be put in some new injectors. I’d recommend the 160/30 also. I had the 175/80 and hated them for towing. The EGT would skyrocket going up a hill and I would have to back out of the gas to keep it under control. But if you do injectors you have to start beefing up the trans if an auto. You can tow with what you have planned you just won’t be passing many people going up a hill. The CBC 4 line feed I would recommend with an injector upgrade otherwise not necessary. The HPOP lines are just an insurance against them bursting. The hpx does quiet the motor some I though. The non ebpv pedestal just eliminates a potential leak spot and lowers EGT some. If you don’t have a leak or an EGT problem I would just leave it. I had the banks exhaust brake on my truck and it was really nice when towing. I would recommend it for towing heavy.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Sold2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cletusjermal; 03-25-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-16-2019, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember someone saying the same thing to me you wont even feel it. Well I sure as heck felt a huge difference. Sadly the 7.3 isn't known for HP or even torque for that matter. Stock HP is around 285 & torque just shy of 500. My stock 2001 GMC 6.0 gasser pulled better than my 99.5 7.3. So to bring it up to snuff to pull my 8000 lbs trailer. 4inch turbo with cold air intake, 5inch turbo back straight pipe, performance HPOP, rebuilt all injectors, Fass 220gph/55psi fuel pump, TruCool transmission cooler, new injector control module, all new sensors, new valve cover gaskets with wiring harness, EGT gauges pre & post turbo, BullyDog tuner, fuel pressure, HPOP pressure, turbo boost, tranny & oil temp gauges. Removed the fuel tank to remove sediment (notorious issue), new oil pan (notorious issue & requires lifting the motor), Im sure Im forgetting a few things but those are the expensive things. I will be installing a HD triple clutch torque converter & rebuild my tranny for 600hp because Im doing the 235/100 injectors with Hydra chip giving me about 500hp & 800 lbs torque. I live in Alberta Canada & I go through the rockies in the summer & temps get around 100deg F in the summer so I try & keep all components as cool as possible. Long story short, towing is VERY PRICY!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2019, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
With 500 HP you will be closer to 1000 ft lbs of torque than 800.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode