Just Weighed my truck and 5th wheel, advice needed - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 Old 08-13-2018, 04:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Yes. Hitch weight is 3,060 + the 14,000 for the axles is the 17,000 that I stated for the GVW.
What toy hauler did you get? We are gonna get one once we sell our current 5th wheel.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Sold—2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 08-15-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We bought a 2019 Heartland Fuel 352. It has a 13' garage, 3 slides and 1-1/2 baths. Heartland started the Fuel line of 5th wheels and travel trailers for Camping World. At least in our 352, it has the same floor plan as the Heartland Torque 345 JM. It just weighs less, has a few less features and is about $10,000 cheaper.
post #23 of 35 Old 08-15-2018, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
I will throw in my 2 cents worth, as stated before get the 6.0L cooler, and the Hydra chip will help tremendously. I got the Edge SCT2 for my monitor on my dually, and it's the bomb

I will tell ya, don't go on facebook with those weight number's those guys will trash you arsh bad, we call them the weight police and most drive POS Dodge's.

2001 7.3L CCSRW 4X4
2003 7.3L CCDRW
S&B intake, 4" Flo-Pro Exhaust
ISSPRO EGT/Transmission. Edge SCT2
PHP Hydra chip's
2015 Heartland Prowler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck View Post
As mentioned before get yourself a 6.0 trans cooler easy swap and will help keep it cooler while lugging that thing around, when I had my 01 I took out the “factory” brake controller and installed the Tekonsha P3 it was a night and day difference between the 2, way more control and options for settings with the Tenkonsha and for the $130 it’s a no brainer with that kinda weight behind you, they sell a plug and play harness for your truck also, stay on top of your brakes and keep your distance and should be good!
+1.

Great controller and get the harness. Only $15 more or something similar.

Tom

2014 XLT Premium CC Dually 2WD, Remote Start Added, Diesel Site Dual Filters, Rudy's Cold Air Pipe, Infotainment Radio Swap + Rear Camera Added

2002 XLT CC Dually 2WD, 6 Spd, True Workhorse that kept going.

1999 F250 Lariat CC LB SRW 2 WD, Automatic. Just didn't perform towing.
post #25 of 35 Old 08-16-2018, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Wood's Powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck View Post
As mentioned before get yourself a 6.0 trans cooler easy swap and will help keep it cooler while lugging that thing around, when I had my 01 I took out the “factory” brake controller and installed the Tekonsha P3 it was a night and day difference between the 2, way more control and options for settings with the Tenkonsha and for the $130 it’s a no brainer with that kinda weight behind you, they sell a plug and play harness for your truck also, stay on top of your brakes and keep your distance and should be good!
+2
I have the Tekonsha P3 as well. Pulling a 24' enclosed grossing out @ around 7,000 lbs trailer weight with the Mustang in it, stopping is a no-drama affair. The plug & play harness is indeed a no-brainer.

IDK where y'all live but apparently your DOT folks have a much better attitude than ours here in SC. If you're overweight here, you're over here. Leniency is not in the vocabulary of the "Transport Police" in SC. "You're just a little over so the fine will be a little less than if you were a lot over" but you're still getting a big ticket.

A friendly word of caution to you, though. I worked for Ford in the early 2000's and one of my many hats was to spec-out and order vehicles including our beloved Super Duty. There is no cushion or extra weight factored in to the GVWR, GAWR, or GCVWR, What it is is what it is. The max is to the pound max.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wood's 7.3
Old School Strokin'
2001 F-250, 7.3 Powerstroke
Lariat, 4X4 Off-Road, Crew-Cab, SB, AT
post #26 of 35 Old 08-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Gotta agree with Wood's here... over is over. Just moved up from a F150 here because we got a bigger trailer, and had no way to make the 150 legal. The new rig is 6500 empty, so we had some room under the 7,600 the 150 was rated for... but with a GVWR of 9,900, we would have been WAY over with the trailer loaded out. Now we've got ~2600lbs of buffer between the truck capacity for a bumper pull, and have the option to go up to a 15k 5th wheel later.

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

-Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus
post #27 of 35 Old 08-16-2018, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
To the DOT if you aren't exceeding the axle ratings you are not overweight.
R&Rpowerstroke likes this.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #28 of 35 Old 08-16-2018, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
Looking back at his numbers... as long as the toys get loaded behind the axles of the rig, it should be fine per axle. The toys should actually slightly reduce the pin weight since they're adding weight to the rear of the trailer. If the rig is set up so you can load ahead of the axles, keep an eye on the rear of the truck, since it's the closest.

Which begs the question: If the DOT rules only apply per axle (even at the state level, for every state I just checked), is the GCWR on our trucks really irrelevant? As long as GCW is under 26,001, who cares? NB: the 150 I upgraded from would have been over on the rear axle had I maxed out the trailer, so I had to do the upgrade. It appears the OP should still be legal.

post #29 of 35 Old 08-17-2018, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Wood's Powerstroke
I was curious so I called my state trooper friend who put me in touch with a transport police officer friend of his. This is what he told me is applicable in SC. Any single unit vehicle (like our trucks) including trailer that gross' out at <26,000 lbs. will not be considered overweight as long as the tag purchased for that vehicle is over the actual weight of said vehicle. That includes cargo, trailer, and whatever else is attached or is being carried or hauled. If the vehicle and trailer exceed >26,000 lbs. combined weight, the the operator must have a CDL regardless of the type of vehicle. Here's the kicker, though; the equipment rating (tires, axles, etc.) must exceed the actual weight or load being carried/towed/hauled or you can be cited for operating an unsafe vehicle. So let's say you're pulling a 15,000 lb trailer with a 2001 F-250, the GCVWR is 20,000 lbs., and you have a regular driver's licence. If you gross out at say 21,500 lbs. combined then technically you're not over weight in the eyes of the law because you're <26,000 lbs. However, you have exceeded the manufacturers maximum rated GCVWR of that vehicle so if a failure occurs because of that and you cause an accident, injury, whatever, you are liable because you exceeded the maximum load of what the manufacturer certified the vehicle could safely handle. I believe he said this applies up to about (he said he wasn't 100% sure as he did not have his reg book in front of him) 38,000 lbs. A 2018 F-250, 6.7 Powerstroke, Crew-Cab, 4X4, short bed has a base curb weight of 7,264 lbs. It has a max payload of 7,360 lbs. and a GVWR of 14,000 lbs.. You can already see that if you load it with 7,000 lbs. of cargo, you have exceeded the max GVWR but are not legally overweight. However, if a failure occurs which results in an accident, then you are liable for damages because you have exceeded the manufacturers maximum certified weight rating for the vehicle. That same vehicle is rated to tow a 34,000 goose-neck trailer. Even with a CDL, you can't max the trailer weight out because it exceeds what is considered the max for a single unit truck to handle. IMO, the bottom line is the people who built these trucks are some pretty smart folks who have done the math on what weights and loads they can safely handle. Can the truck pull or haul more than it's rated for? Probably so. Is it good for it? Probably not. Is it safe to do it? Ford doesn't think so and neither do I. Just because you can do something does not mean that you should.

Wood's 7.3
Old School Strokin'
2001 F-250, 7.3 Powerstroke
Lariat, 4X4 Off-Road, Crew-Cab, SB, AT
post #30 of 35 Old 08-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood's Powerstroke View Post
Just because you can do something does not mean that you should.

True. But again, if all the DOT really cares about is per-axle weights, why is ther no buffer in the GVWR when FAWR+RAWR > GVWR? If the front is rated for 5k, and the rear is rated for 5k, why is the truck not rated for 10k? The answer is probably "Government Math". Just something that makes you go 'hmmmmm'...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode