Matt's Offroad Towing & Recovery - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Video/Movie Forum Our Personal Video Gallery & Other Video Links, Discussion, Support, Promotion, ect...

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 11-30-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Matt's Offroad Towing & Recovery

I've been watching this guy for a few weeks and he just uploaded a video of a PSD helping him to pull a trailer out of the snow.

2017 Ford F250 XL 4x4 SRW, White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-30-2019, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
I watched this video. I was surprised to see that no one (Jeep or Ford) was using tire chains. They spent a lot of time slipping and sliding around when (to my way of thinking anyway) some good old fashioned tire chains would have helped a lot.

Any reason for NOT putting chains on the rear of my 2016 F-350 long bed? Four wheel drive is great, but I don't run big-lug tires. After 30 years of truckin' and chaining up on mountain passes, I've seen my share of 'big' pickups in the ditch.

2016 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab long bed. Highway Products Pickup Bed installed. Hulivators when kayaking is in season. Added the Banks iDash gauge. Swapped out stock chrome grill for a Raptor style flat black grill. Recon headlights. Baja Designs LED Fog Lamps
post #3 of 29 Old 11-30-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have no experience that counts for anything when it comes to driving in those kinds of conditions we don't get much snow and when I'm in the mud it is usually for fun and when it's not the only recovery gear I have used are winches, shovels, tubafos, ect. In fact these guys have never used chains in the videos that I have watched. I was really surprised that the heavy diesel didn't get stuck to be honest.
MrTommy likes this.

Last edited by Work Truck Fanatic; 11-30-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 11-30-2019, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
That little camper sure squatted down the back end of that truck a lot. Do the newer f250s have a softer rear suspension? I can haul a 3/4 ton truck on my 20 ft trailer with most of the weight in front of the axles and my F250 with factory leaf springs doesnt squat much at all.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #5 of 29 Old 12-01-2019, 05:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
That little camper sure squatted down the back end of that truck a lot. Do the newer f250s have a softer rear suspension?
I think issue with that 'squat' had more to do with his low-slung hitch than soft suspension. He was dragging the front of the trailer because the hitch was too low. I was really surprised to see that. In my opinion, the guy in the Ford was totally unprepared for the job at hand. At the very least he should have had one of those multi-height fancy schmancy aluminum hitches you see in custom truck shops that you can adjust to fit whatever height trailer you plan to tow. Especially in THIS case.

And, as I mentioned above, no one having any chains really surprised me!

2016 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab long bed. Highway Products Pickup Bed installed. Hulivators when kayaking is in season. Added the Banks iDash gauge. Swapped out stock chrome grill for a Raptor style flat black grill. Recon headlights. Baja Designs LED Fog Lamps
post #6 of 29 Old 12-01-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTommy View Post
I think issue with that 'squat' had more to do with his low-slung hitch than soft suspension. He was dragging the front of the trailer because the hitch was too low. I was really surprised to see that. In my opinion, the guy in the Ford was totally unprepared for the job at hand. At the very least he should have had one of those multi-height fancy schmancy aluminum hitches you see in custom truck shops that you can adjust to fit whatever height trailer you plan to tow. Especially in THIS case.

And, as I mentioned above, no one having any chains really surprised me!
You can see how much the rear tire is pushed up into the wheel well and it's sitting nose high, a taller hitch would have brought the trailer up more but it wouldn't help with the squat. I also noticed he has a 5th wheel hitch in the back, I wonder how it does when he tows it, any decent size 5th wheel will have double or triple the hitch weight of that travel trailer.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #7 of 29 Old 12-01-2019, 12:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
You can see how much the rear tire is pushed up into the wheel well and it's sitting nose high
I went back and re-watched the video. You're right about that. I was so busy looking at that wrong sized hitch that I didn't notice the 'squat'. I don't think I'd call these guys to tow me after watching this.

Although I watched another of their 'recovery' vids and they seem to do alright most of the time.

post #8 of 29 Old 12-01-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTommy View Post
I went back and re-watched the video. You're right about that. I was so busy looking at that wrong sized hitch that I didn't notice the 'squat'. I don't think I'd call these guys to tow me after watching this.

Although I watched another of their 'recovery' vids and they seem to do alright most of the time.
I am not bashing Winder towing at all, I have watched most of their video's and they have always done a good job. I was just surprised at how soft of a suspension the rear of that f250 is. I recently looked at a 6.7 f250 and it only had 2 leaves in the rear pack not including the bottom short one. My 2000 f250 has the standard leaf springs in the rear and it has 4 leaves. I find it odd that the newer trucks are rated to tow and haul more yet they have a softer suspension. Maybe they expect that anyone who tows a lot will add airbags later.

post #9 of 29 Old 12-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Garage
They got it done, but something a little more aggressive on that Ford other than an AT tire and some chains would have made a huge difference - not to mention the squat too! Geez...

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #10 of 29 Old 12-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
It was surprising to see how much that F250 squatted with the camper. Something can't be right with that.
I've never watched any of their videos but I didn't notice a company logo on the F250 so maybe part of why it didn't seem set up for "off road recovery" with an adjustable hitch and more aggressive tires. Wet heavy snow like that packs quickly and slicks over like ice and those standard ATs were not up for the challenge. And in the mountains like they are and not having tire chains seems very weird.

I will definitely have to watch some more of their videos.
MrTommy and jokester00 like this.

μολὼν λαβέ | si vis pa·​cem, pa·​ra bel·​lum
2016 F350 Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 4WD 4.30LS
14000#GVWR Pkg, HiCap-TowPkg, PlowPkg-ExtraHD Alt, WideTrack frt axle, Max frt springs
Sinister ColdSide Charge Pipe, OBDLinkMX+ MonitorApp on Fire7 tablet

Last edited by 18M_RWR; 12-02-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode