Towing Capacity Question - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 Old 11-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you have any kind of accident and you are over weight in any category your insurance will not cover you

1999 F250 Supercrew LB
MBRP 4" straight pipe
S&B
PHP Hydra
Edge Insight CTS2
Sweet IH Steering knob (adds at least 1000HP)

"I have never bought anything with money. Everything I have was bought with pieces of time I sold from my life to a job that will never have paid enough when my time is up."

Spem Successus Alit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 11-15-2018, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhornmike View Post
If you have any kind of accident and you are over weight in any category your insurance will not cover you
Eh, I dont know about that. My policy does not say anything about it at all. The only exclusions are things like evading police pursuit, racing, taxi services, blah blah. I can be skunk drunk and wreck it. I can be doing lines off a hooker zzz and wreck it. As long as I'm within the letter of the policy, they pay out.
A civil suit could be an issue though. If someone you hit found out you were over. Then again, even loaded correctly you can get sued.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
post #13 of 14 Old 11-15-2018, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
I stand corrected, proceed good sir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridintolive View Post
Good evening. Newbie to the Powerstroke and Ford towing here and I have a question regarding tow capacity. I have a 2015 F-250 XLT Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 156" WB that has the 10K GVWR Package/ 3.31 Electronic Locking and FX4 package. I went to the following site, and it is showing that the max towing capacity for my truck is 15900. (ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2015_SuperDuty.pdf)

Now here is the core of my question. I am looking at a 2016 Primetime Spartan 1240X Toy Hauler that is 43', 3 Axle, UVW is 14951, Pin Weight is 2783 (have 20K hitch, so I am good there/considering the 15-25% calculation), add 873 for water, another 845 for my bike, and 150 for food, gear, and 50 just for the wife's shoes, I come up with a total of roughly 16750. Am I trying to go too heavy for my truck, given I am 1K over from the page above?

My thought is that with the 10K GVW package, I am at 10K plus the 15900 listed by ford, giving me a total GVW of 25900? Am I way off base...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Depending on what state you are in 15,000 will make you illegal once you get pulled over. Most states like California limit GCVWR (GROSS COMBINED VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING) For non Commercial towing at 25,000#. You may need a 5th wheel endorsement to tow over 10,000#

You are going to be over the recommended load of the rear axle if I’m not mistaken. Unless they did major changes to the rear axle, I verified with FORD last year when I picked up my 16 CC FX4 that you can put a max of 3,000# over the rear axle. That was through Fords Hotline service!

With that being said wrong trailer for the wrong truck. You would be sued if you got someone hurt or property damaged in the event of an accident. And your insurance wouldn’t cover it because you are out of your limit as far as towing goes. Unless you had it weighed PER AXLE and had the pics/certs to prove it, you’d loose and loose big!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode