Early 99 Front springs and shocks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-20-2020, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Early 99 Front springs and shocks

Hi Everyone!

been combing the forum (and the internet) for an answer to this simple (i hope) question: I have Early99 Cab and Chassis and I would like to replace the springs and shocks. it has 130k miles on it and 22 (almost) years of age, and they've never been replaced.

I use the truck to plow occasionally and I have a dump bed in the back, and quite a significant rake (will measure tomorrow, but likely 5 inches or so). when i put 2 tons in the bed (quite often) the back does not sink more than a couple inches.

i do not care much for ride comfort as this is a lumber wagon as it is. Durability is more important than comfort.

I am looking for heavy duty front springs, make and model. I have read about the X rated, but i don't know if they match the early 99 and/or if there is a better manufacturer (other than ford)
Perhaps a modest lift of 1 inch, max 2 inches would not be bad, but what else do i need to change/upgrade if i want to achieve that? Also, same question - what spring Make/model should i consider for that.

Lastly, looking for a pair of heavy duty shocks. Been looking at Blisteins 5100. is that the way to go? pros/cons?

Thank you!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-23-2020, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi Guys

no replies, so bumping this back up... ALL help is appreciated!

thank you!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-24-2020, 08:32 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The leaf springs and shocks from a late 99 will work on an early 1999. The early 1999 just used a different u bolt (square) vs late 99 has a semi round and round option. but the leaf springs are the same. The early 1999 also has a different pitman arm, and different offset rotors for the front (rears are same early/late 99).

I have an early 1999 running late 1999 leaf springs lift kit with just the needed square ubolts. The x codes will treat you nicely as they are designed for trucks that use a plow (handle more weight). I would double check leaf springs to see if there are any differences between the cab n chassis vs regular superduties just in case though. I know the cab n chassis has a lot of the same parts but the rear end/frame gets to be very tricky trying to match up parts etc.

Since you haul a lot the x codes and shocks for a 2in level kit would probably all you need. I installed a 2.5in level kit with aftermarket shocks and an aftermarket track bar it seems it was 50/50 people needed the track bar. But, what happens is the new front leafs settle after about 6 months and the oem track bar fits again lol. now I have this expensive pmf adjustable early 1999 track bar that I don't need hahaha.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustinOOO9 For This Useful Post:
MAIR (01-24-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-24-2020, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a ton Justin!! Much appreciated!

Do you have a recommendation for Manufacturer for the X springs? Ford? something else (aftermarket)?

Also, same for shocks. been looking at Blisteins 5100. are they good enough, or is there something better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in